- Sports I-League 2019-20: East Bengal bounce back with away win against defending champions Chennai City
- News Republic Day 2020: When January 26 was declared as Purna Swaraj Day
- Automobiles Fiat Stops Production Of 1.3-Litre Multijet Engine: The End Of The Road For India’s Favourite Diesel
- Technology Vivo iQOO 3 Full Specs Leaked: Tipped To Come Void Of 90Hz Display
- Movies Ala Vaikunthapuramloo Day 14 Box Office: Collections Slow Down As Week 2 Comes To An End
- Travel 10 Most Popular Historical Places And Sites In Karnataka
- Finance Top 10 Recurring Deposits with Higher Interest Rates
- Education IIM Bangalore Women In Leadership Course Tanmatra
Though the name states that this is a special dish to be prepared on Pongal/Sankranti in South India, you can prepare it any day for breakfast, or lunch, and enjoy it to your heart's content at home. This year the festival will be celebrated on 15 January.
It is a dish where you need a very limited number of ingredients and can cook it within 20 minutes or so. So, when you are in a hurry to make breakfast and can't think of any quick dishes to make, you can prepare this dish.
You can serve Pongal with sambar or chutney, but you need to be very cautious about the consistency of the dish. You don’t want it to turn too dry or too watery. So, have a look at the ingredients required and the simple procedure to prepare this aval and ghee Pongal recipe.
Serves – 2
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 15-20 minutes
1. Aval (Beaten Rice) - 1 cup
2. Moong Dal - ¼th cup
3. Water - 4 cups
4. Turmeric Powder - a pinch
5. Ginger - 1 tbsp (chopped)
6. Cashew Nuts - 8
7. Whole Black Pepper - 1 tbsp
8. Salt as per taste
9. Oil - 2 tbsp
10. Curry Leaves - 1 sprig
11. Ghee - 2 tbsp
12. Green Chilli - 1 (finely chopped)
13. Cumin Seeds - 2 tsp
14. Asafetida - a pinch
1. Take a pan and start roasting the moong dal well to get the aroma. Remember, you need to dry roast it.
2. Now, add a pinch of turmeric and add little water, so that the dal gets softer. Take it out, mash it and keep it aside.
3. Wash aval well and drain the water. Keep it aside for 15 minutes. You also need to crush the cumin seeds and black pepper coarsely.
4. Take a pan and add oil and ghee into it. Add ginger, curry leaves and green chilli into it and sauté well.
5. The next step is to add the cumin seeds and ground pepper and wait for the cumin seeds to splutter.
6. Add the cooked dal and salt, and mix it well with all the spices.
7. When the dal is cooked well, add Aval into it and let it get cooked for a few minutes, so that everything blends well.
8. Take a small pan and heat ghee in it. Add the curry leaves, asafetida and cashew nuts into it and temper it on the aval Pongal.
9. Your aval and ghee Pongal is ready to be served.
Aval Pongal tastes great and you can have it for breakfast. So, try it at home this Pongal/Sankranti and share your feedback with us.