- 8 hrs ago Anushka Sharma's Sequinned White Dress Is What We Want To Update Our Wardrobe With
- 8 hrs ago 5 Chic Hairstyles To Disguise Greasy Hair
- 10 hrs ago Dia Mirza Looks Radiant In Her Pink And Golden Colour-Blocked Silk Sari
- 10 hrs ago Janhvi Kapoor's Ruffled Dress Will Absolutely Drive All Your Blues Away
- Movies Celebs Rave About Taapsee Pannu-Starrer Thappad; Rajkummar Rao Calls It A ‘Must Watch’
- News Delhi violence: Volunteers bring much-needed food, medicines to riot-affected
- Sports ICC T20 Rankings: Rahul remains number two batsman in T20s, Kohli static at ninth spot
- Technology HTC Wildfire R70 With Triple Rear Cameras Launched In India
- Finance Axis Bank Appoints New CFO
- Automobiles New Hyundai Grand i10 NIOS Turbo-Petrol Launched In India: Prices Start At Rs 7.68 Lakh
- Travel Least Polluted Cities In India
- Education Top 20 Universities In Emerging Economies University Rankings 2020
The only thing what most of us like of summer is the ripe mangoes that tantalizes the taste buds only once in the year. There are over 400 varieties of mango throughout the world that you can choose from. Here are some basic tips that will help you choose the perfect ripe mangoes for a bright summer treat . Also read basic guidelines on how to store mangoes for a longer time.
How to choose mangoes?
Choose mangoes that are firm but yield to slight pressure. Make sure the skin is unbroken, and the colour should be changing from green to yellow, orange or red. Check if it has too many black spots on it as it is a sign that the fruit is overripe.
However one or two is fine. If you have brought some unripe mangoes from the market, you can speed the process by placing it in a paper bag with a ripe mango. Check daily to avoid over- ripening. Paper bag might help them ripen sooner, but they will not ripen at temperatures below 55 degrees Fahrenheit (12 degrees Celsius).
Make note that mangoes picked too soon will not ripe properly even if it is left in a bag. With frequent check it will have a flavor reminiscent of turpentine. Do not depend on the colour as the colour of the skin varies by the variety of the mango. Another indicator of a ripe mango is it will have very sweet fragrant aroma unripe fruit has no odor.
How To Store Mangoes
The tropical high calorie fruit is a great source of potassium and Vitamins A and C. Here are some tips to store mangoes for a longer time.
- Keep in a cool places like cupboard.
- Keep them in refrigerator when they yield slightly to pressure. Ripe mangoes can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks,
- Do not store for more than 2-3 days to prevent over ripening
- You can store mangoes by cooking it in syrup, pureed, dried or frozen. To freeze uncooked mangoes, sprinkle sugar over the peeled, seeded, chopped fruit. Stir gently with a wooden spoon until the sugar dissolves in the fruit's own juices, making sure the pieces are coated. Seal in an airtight container leaving 1/2-inch airspace or in plastic freezer bags with all air squeezed out.