- 2 hrs ago Daily Horoscope: 29 January 2020
- 12 hrs ago LFW 2020: Here's What You Can Expect From Amit Aggarwal's Summer Resort Grand Finale Collection
- 12 hrs ago 16 Wholesome Foods To Help Relieve Stress Naturally
- 12 hrs ago How To Recreate Sonam Kapoor’s Stunning Blue Eye Make-up Look With Just 6 Products
- Movies Pattas Box Office Final Collections: The Dhanush Starrer Ends Up As A Profitable Venture!
- Technology Upcoming Budget Flagship Smartphones To Arrive In India This Year
- News Why are wildlife activists upset with Rajinikanth's 'Man vs Wild' episode
- Sports ICC U19 World Cup: India trounce Australia by 74 runs; enter semifinals
- Automobiles BharatBenz BS-VI Trucks & Buses Revealed With New Connectivity Tech
- Finance 5 Best NRE FD Accounts for NRI’s
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Sikkim In 2020
- Education IIM Bangalore Women In Leadership Course Tanmatra
Dal tadka with eggs is a very special dish from Kolkata. When you go to a dhaba and order for dal tadka, you usually expect to see golden yellow dal seasoned with onion, tomatoes and spices. This dal is usually completely vegetarian. However, the dal tadka with eggs recipe is a special one from Kolkata. If you order the dhaba style dal tadka in Kolkata, you will get a black dal that has been deliciously blended with scrambled eggs.
The Bengali egg tadka dal or 'torka' as we call it is a very typical Kolkata specialty that you will not get anywhere else. So for all the 'probashi' or out-of-station Bengalis, you might as well learn to make dal tadka with egg because you cannot order it at any dhaba outside Bengal. The recipe is simple enough and if you remember the taste well, you will arrive at it with your own expert touches.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
- Whole moong dal- 1/2 cup
- Urad dal- 1/2 cup
- Chana dal- 1/2 cup (soaked)
- Onion- 1 + 1
- Ginger- 1 inch
- Garlic- 6-8 cloves
- Tomato- 1
- Turmeric- 1 pinch
- Dry red chillies- 2
- Bay leaves- 2
- Green chillies- 4 (chopped)
- Red chilli powder- 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1tsp
- Roasted cumin powder- 1tsp
- Garam masala powder- 1/2 tsp
- Mustard oil- 2tbsp
- Ghee- 1tsp
- Asfoetida- 1 pinch
- Sugar- 1/2 tsp
- Eggs- 2
- Salt- as per taste
- Pressure cook the three types of dal for 10 minutes on low flame.
- Meanwhile, chop 1 onion and tomato.
- Make a paste out of ginger, garlic and the other onion.
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan, season it with bay leaf, red chillies, green chillies and sugar.
- Saute the chopped onion in this pan for 2 minutes. Then, add the onion and ginger-garlic paste.
- Cook on low flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, sprinkle salt, red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric and roasted cumin powder.
- Cook until oil separates from the spices.
- Pour the boiled dals into this pan and mix all the spices properly. Keep stirring to avoid lumps.
- In another deep bottomed pan, heat ghee and temper it with asafoetida or hing.
- Break the eggs into this pan. Add some salt and scramble the eggs properly.
- Pour the simmering dal into the pan with the eggs.
- Keep simmering the dal to arrive at the right consistency of the dal tadka.
- Add garam masala in the end.
You can have dal tadka with egg with rumali rotis or naans. Have it with phulkas at home.