- Sports India vs West Indies: Shivam Dube slams maiden T20I fifty, Virat Kohli gets lauded for his masterstroke
- News Lata Mangeshkar discharged from hospital, thanks fans for prayers
- Movies Hyderabad Murder Accused Killed In Encounter: Upendra’s Bold Comments Go Viral
- Technology Here's How To Perform Diagnostics Tests On Your Smartphone
- Automobiles KTM 790 Adventure Showcased At India Bike Week Ahead Of 2020 Launch
- Finance Now 5,500 Railway Stations Have Free WiFi
- Education TOEFL Go! Global: A Mobile App From ETS To Stand Out In Exam
- Travel A Brief Travel Guide For Solo Travellers To Conquer South India
Dal tadka with eggs is a very special dish from Kolkata. When you go to a dhaba and order for dal tadka, you usually expect to see golden yellow dal seasoned with onion, tomatoes and spices. This dal is usually completely vegetarian. However, the dal tadka with eggs recipe is a special one from Kolkata. If you order the dhaba style dal tadka in Kolkata, you will get a black dal that has been deliciously blended with scrambled eggs.
The Bengali egg tadka dal or 'torka' as we call it is a very typical Kolkata specialty that you will not get anywhere else. So for all the 'probashi' or out-of-station Bengalis, you might as well learn to make dal tadka with egg because you cannot order it at any dhaba outside Bengal. The recipe is simple enough and if you remember the taste well, you will arrive at it with your own expert touches.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
- Whole moong dal- 1/2 cup
- Urad dal- 1/2 cup
- Chana dal- 1/2 cup (soaked)
- Onion- 1 + 1
- Ginger- 1 inch
- Garlic- 6-8 cloves
- Tomato- 1
- Turmeric- 1 pinch
- Dry red chillies- 2
- Bay leaves- 2
- Green chillies- 4 (chopped)
- Red chilli powder- 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1tsp
- Roasted cumin powder- 1tsp
- Garam masala powder- 1/2 tsp
- Mustard oil- 2tbsp
- Ghee- 1tsp
- Asfoetida- 1 pinch
- Sugar- 1/2 tsp
- Eggs- 2
- Salt- as per taste
- Pressure cook the three types of dal for 10 minutes on low flame.
- Meanwhile, chop 1 onion and tomato.
- Make a paste out of ginger, garlic and the other onion.
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan, season it with bay leaf, red chillies, green chillies and sugar.
- Saute the chopped onion in this pan for 2 minutes. Then, add the onion and ginger-garlic paste.
- Cook on low flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, sprinkle salt, red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric and roasted cumin powder.
- Cook until oil separates from the spices.
- Pour the boiled dals into this pan and mix all the spices properly. Keep stirring to avoid lumps.
- In another deep bottomed pan, heat ghee and temper it with asafoetida or hing.
- Break the eggs into this pan. Add some salt and scramble the eggs properly.
- Pour the simmering dal into the pan with the eggs.
- Keep simmering the dal to arrive at the right consistency of the dal tadka.
- Add garam masala in the end.
You can have dal tadka with egg with rumali rotis or naans. Have it with phulkas at home.