Your skin takes a toll during the cold season. It becomes dry, itchy, and flaky, and loses its moisture. The top layer of our skin starts to break drown and therefore develops a flaky texture with visible lines or cracks.
It is important to take care of your skin during the winter season. So how do we keep our skin moisturized? We often depend on store-bought products, but sometimes, we are not sure about how effective they are and sometimes our skin may not agree with various chemicals present in the products either. So, the best option for you would be to opt for homemade remedies.
In this article, we will show you how to make your own moisturizer at home. Let's take a look.
Homemade Remedies For Treating Dry Skin During Winter
Banana, Avocado, And Papaya Paste:
Banana is rich in potassium, vitamin E, and vitamin B-complex, all of which are great ingredients to treat dry skin. It also has high water content, which helps to keep the skin hydrated.
Avocado contains various minerals, such as iron, calcium, potassium, copper, magnesium, etc. Its buttery texture is good for the skin, as it acts as a natural moisturizer for the skin.
Papaya is rich in vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin E, magnesium, potassium, and folate, all of which provide hydration and nutrition to the skin.
- Peel and cut one banana, avocado, and ripe papaya.
- Add them in a mixer and make it into a fine paste.
- Apply the paste on to your face and neck.
- Leave the mixture on your face and neck for 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this process every day for best results.
Honey, Egg Yolk, And Milk Powder Paste:
Honey contains humectant which is responsible for retaining water in the skin, and is an ideal moisturizer and cleansing agent.
Egg yolk contains healthy fat, water, multivitamins, and minerals that help in treating dry skin, as it locks moisture into the skin.
Milk powder is rich in minerals and vitamins, which helps in treating dry skin.
- In a bowl, add one egg yolk, one teaspoon of honey, and two teaspoons of milk powder.
- Mix the content properly.
- Apply this mixture evenly on your face and neck.
- Leave it on your face and neck for 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- For best results, use this mixture twice in a week.
Olive oil contains antioxidant properties that protect the skin from the harmful rays of the sun. The healthy fats present in it moisturize the skin and prevent it from drying out. It also locks the moisture in the skin.
- Take 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a bowl.
- Massage it evenly over the dry skin for 10 minutes.
- Let the oil penetrate into the skin.
- Wash it off with warm water.
- For best results, massage olive oil before going to bed and rinse it off the next morning.
Aloe vera is one of the best moisturizers for the skin. It contains antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and enzymes that nourish the skin and make the skin smooth and nice.
- Extract the juice from an aloe vera plant.
- Apply the juice evenly on your face and neck.
- Leave the juice on your face and neck for 5-10 minutes.
- Wash it off with normal water.
- You can use this every day for smooth, soft skin.
Coconut milk contains vitamins C, E, iron, and magnesium that are good for the skin. Its antibacterial properties help fight against skin problems, and it also nourishes the skin.
- Apply the coconut milk evenly on your face and leave it on overnight.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water in the morning.
- Apply this every day for best results.
Cucumber is rich in vitamins A and E, iron, potassium, magnesium, folate, and silica, all of which are important for treating dry skin. It also lightens the skin tone.
- Cut one cucumber into small pieces.
- Mix it into a blender.
- Apply the cucumber paste all over your face and neck.
- Wash it off after 15-20 minutes.
- Do this regularly for best results.
Oatmeal And Banana Paste:
Oatmeal contains saponins which help to exfoliate dry skin cells and provide a smooth texture to the skin. The anti-inflammatory properties protect the skin against dryness and damage caused by sun exposure.
Mash half a ripe banana in a bowl.
Add 2 tablespoons of oatmeal in a blender with some hot water and make it into a smooth paste.
Now, add the mashed banana to the oatmeal paste and mix it properly.
Apply this mixture on your face and leave it on for 15-20 minutes.
Wash it off with normal water.
Repeat this process 2-3 times in a week.
Glycerin And Rose Water:
Glycerin is an amazing humectant and emollient that locks the moisture in and keeps the skin hydrated. It works wonders for dry skin.
Rose water, on the other hand, keeps the skin hydrated for a longer period of time and also improves the skin texture.
Mix 1 tablespoon of glycerin with 1 tablespoon of rose water.
Apply this mixture on your face and leave it on your skin for 30 minutes.
Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
Repeat this process every day for best results.
Strawberry And Glycerin Mixture:
Strawberry is rich in vitamin C that reduces wrinkles and fine lines. It also contains alpha-hydroxylic acid that helps get rid of the dead skin cells. Strawberry is also an excellent toner for the skin.
In a blender, add a handful of strawberries and extract the juice.
Add 2-3 tablespoons of glycerin to the strawberry juice.
Apply it evenly on the dry skin.
Leave the mixture on for 15 minutes.
Wash it off with lukewarm water.
Repeat this process every day.
Turmeric, Honey, And Olive Oil:
Turmeric contains curcumin, which moisturizes the skin and rejuvenates the skin cells. It also helps in improving the skin texture and brightens up your complexion.
- Add half teaspoon of turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon of honey, and 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a bowl.
- Mix all the ingredients properly and make it into a smooth paste.
- Apply this paste on your face and leave it on for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with cold water.
- Repeat this process once or twice in a week.
The above-mentioned remedies are beneficial to treat dry skin. It is also important to maintain a healthy diet. Lack of vitamins in your body can also be one of the reasons for dry skin. Make sure you eat healthy food and drink plenty of water. Keep yourself hydrated at all times. Add almond, olive oil, and fruits in your regular diet, as these help in keeping the skin hydrated.
- Top 6 February Fashion Tips For Transitioning From Winter To Spring
- 10 Best Foods That Can Beat Back Winter Blues
- 10 Tips To Avoid Dry And Flaky Scalp During The Winter Season
- All-natural Olive Oil Face Masks For Winter Skin Care
- Must-have Coloured Leather Jackets To Make Your Winter Hotter
- 9 Best Foods To Consume In Winter If You Want To Remain Healthy!
- This Is Why You Must Consume Jaggery During The Winter Season!
- Fruit Face Packs To Avoid Dry Skin This Winter
- Avoid Red Meat & Dairy Products In Winters, Suggests Experts
- How To Take Care Of Your Feet This Winter
- Indian Foods To Keep You Warm During Winter
- Nuts & Seeds That Are A Must Have For Winters!
- 10 Face-washing Mistakes That Could Be Damaging Your Skin