- 5 hrs ago Happy Parents Day 2021: Wishes, Images, Quotes, Status To Share With Your Parents
- 19 hrs ago Tokyo Olympics 2020: Know About India's Saikhom Mirabai Chanu Who Won Silver Medal In Weightlifting
- 19 hrs ago Kriti Sanon Looks Fresh And Radiant In Her Vibrant Orange Dress; Take A Look At Her Orange Eye Shadow Too!
- 1 day ago Vitamin E Deficiency: Causes, Symptoms, Complications, Diagnosis And Treatments
- Finance Gratuity Act 1972: Here’s All You Need To Know About Nomination Rules
- Movies Yashika Anand Meets With An Accident; Critically Injured
- Sports Tokyo Olympics: Barty stunned by Sorribes Tormo in first round
- News India reports 39,742 new COVID cases in 24 hours; active cases decline to 4,08,212
- Technology Vodafone-Idea Likely To Follow Airtel; Increase Tariffs Of Postpaid Plans
- Education JEE Main 2021 Session 3: Students Affected By Rains In Maharashtra To Get Another Chance
- Automobiles Piaggio Ape HT Three-Wheelers Launched In India At Rs 2.24 Lakh: Cargo & Passenger CNG Available
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Andaman and Nicobar Islands In August
Come winters and we experience a drastic change in our hair and skin. And one thing that is very common during the winters is hair loss, lots and lots of it. Well, there is no need to worry. Hair loss in winters is common. But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't do a thing about it. There are certain steps you can take to prevent hair loss in winters.
Before we move to the remedies, let's understand winter hair loss a little more.
What Causes Winter Hair Loss
Winter is a cold and dry season. The dry winter winds can make your scalp dry and that weakens the hair roots, make your hair frizzy, static-prone and dry. The dry scalp can also lead to dandruff and itchiness. All this leads to hair damage, breakage and subsequent hair fall.
But that is not all. Winters means chilly weather, but it also means comforting warm weather inside thanks to the modern heating appliances. The instant shift from cold to hot also makes your hair prone to hair fall.
Now that you know why you experience hair fall in winters, let's find out what you can do about it.
Ways To Prevent Winter Hair Loss
Hot oil massage
Dry scalp is the major reason for winter hair loss. And there is no better solution to tackle the dry scalp than a hot oil massage. It relaxes your scalp and adds the much-needed moisture to it. Oils like coconut oil, almond oil and olive oil are great for a hot oil massage. These contain emollient properties and essential vitamins and fatty acids that improve hair health. You can mix two oils to make it more effective and also add essential oils like lavender oil, tea tree oil and jojoba oil to the mix for a moisture boost.
Cover your hair
Exposure to cold winter winds and the harmful rays of the sun are another reason for the loss of your hair. To prevent that, use a hat or a scarf to cover your hair and limit the exposure whenever you go out.
Change your pillowcase
Sometimes all you need is a small change. The cotton pillow and pillow covers that we usually use tend to suck the moisture of our hair. This leads to dry scalp, frizzy hair and hair loss. So, switch your cotton pillowcase with a satin or silk pillowcase. These won’t strip the moisture of your hair and you will have healthy-looking, strong hair.
Is your hairstyle the issue?
Leaving the hair open is a natural way to style our hair for many of us. But if you want to skip the winter hair loss that might not be the best idea. In the winters it is better to switch to braids and buns. Remember to tie your hair too tight though. It will tug on the roots of your hair and further lead to hair loss.
Hair brushing dos and dont’s
To prevent winter hair loss, it is also important to take care of your combing habits. You need to gentle with your hair. You should refrain from combing wet hair. Use a wide-toothed comb to get rid of tangles. Also, before you sleep, comb through your hair and tie your hair in a normal three-strand braid.
Use natural shampoo
Your shampoos infused with harsh chemicals might the reason for your hair loss. Your hair is vulnerable during winters and the chemicals present in these shampoos and conditioners can damage your hair and cause hair loss. So, switch to more organic and natural hair products that pamper without causing any damage.
Also, dandruff is one of the main culprits behind hair loss in winters. So, go for some anti-dandruff shampoos to prevent the hair fall.
Try hydrating home remedies
Winter hair loss becomes easy to control with some hydrating home remedies. Use homemade hair masks with enriching natural ingredients like banana and curd to give your hair nourishment boost. You can apply these hair masks once in a week. Keep them on for 20-30 minutes before you shower and watch it work wonders for your hair.
Check on your diet
A bad diet can also be the reason for your hair loss. If you are experiencing a lot of hair fall, consider adding more nutrition-rich foods in your diet. Drink plenty of water, eat vitamin-rich foods (the green leafy vegetables that you keep running from? Yep, those!) and avoid oily and junk food.