TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- Karkare A Martyr, Sadhvi Pragya’s Remark ‘Personal' — BJP
- IPL 2019: KKR vs RCB — Preview
- FAME II Requires Minimum 50 Per Cent Localization
- Ajay Devgn REACTS To Tanushree's Open Letter!
- How To Get Bharti AXA General Insurance For Two-Wheeler From Airtel
- How Safe Is Buying Digital Gold?
- Pooja Hegde & Aditi Rao In Dresses
- Rourkela: A Weekend Getaway
Frizzy, unruly hair is difficult to manage. And in order to manage it, we end up damaging our hair even more. And thus comes the need for hair treatments. Hair treatments such as smoothening and rebonding are fairly common these days. But there is one that many might have suggested you if you have frizzy and entangled hair - keratin hair treatment.
Keratin hair treatment is an excellent treatment that many swear by. It has proven to be effective for many people. And if you also want to try this out, but are wondering what is it all about, you're at the right place. Let's decode this hair treatment for you!
What Is Keratin Hair Treatment?
Keratin is a structural protein that is a major component of your hair, skin and nails. In fact, it makes up for the most part of your hair.  This is a protein that imparts strength to the hair and prevents it from breakage. It kind of is a protective layer on your hair that shields your hair from the damage and helps to maintain healthy, strong hair.
But unfortunately, reasons such as pollution and excessive use of heat on the hair can lead to loss of this protein. And keratin being a natural and eminent part of our hair, its loss makes the hair frizzy, damaged and unmanageable.
And hence keratin treatment is done to restore this protein and provide it externally to the hair. This treatment strengthens the hair structure and revives the hair to counter the damage done.
Why Should You Opt For Keratin Treatment?
As our hair loses its natural protective cover, it becomes frizzy and tangled. And thus it leads to hair damage and breakage, and issues such as split ends and hair fall.
And what could be better than providing the hair its lost nutrients for it to bounce back? As keratin is a natural protein, restoring it will make the hair healthy, thick and lustrous. And isn't that all we need!
How Is The Keratin Treatment Done?
The keratin treatment is best done at a salon. Although there are shampoos and conditioners available in the market that you can use, these can only help you so much. A proper treatment done at a salon by a professional, giving the treatment the time it needs, will lead to immediate and long-lasting results. Let's have a brief look at how this treatment is done.
- The first step is to wash the hair. The treatment starts with a thorough washing of the hair, followed by blow drying. This removes the dirt from our hair and preps it for the actual treatment.
- The next step is to apply a keratin solution to your hair. For this, your hair is divided into sections and the solution is applied section-by-section until the whole of your hair is covered.
- The solution is kept on the hair for a while.
- Finally, to seal the deal, a flat iron is used to iron the hair and activate the keratin solution.
This treatment usually takes 3-4 hours, depending on the length of your hair.
How Long Does It Last?
Although, it also depends on the type and state of your hair, usually a keratin treatment would last you for 2-3 months. You can go and do it again when you feel that the effect of the treatment is fading. But you need to make sure that you choose a good salon for the treatment.
Benefits Of Keratin Treatment
- As the keratin is something that is a part of our hair, infusing it externally nourishes the hair follicles and improves the quality of the hair.
- It makes the hair easy to manage and reduces the need to use heat on the hair.
- It makes the hair smooth and strong.
- It gives a natural shine to the hair.
- It treats frizzy and tangled hair, thus making them less prone to damage.
- It boosts hair growth and adds volume to the hair.
Risks & Demerits Of Keratin Treatment
Keratin treatment, no doubt, makes your hair strong and manageable, but there are certain risks and demerits associated with the treatment that you must consider before getting it done.
- A huge demerit of this treatment is that some of the keratin treatments include a huge quantity of formaldehyde. This is a chemical that can cause various issues such as chest pain, throat irritation and nose irritation. So do your research and opt for a formaldehyde-free treatment.
- A keratin treatment will not straighten your hair completely, if you have very thick curls.
- You can't wash your hair for at least 4-5 days following the treatment.
- You can't tie your hair for the next 4-5 days following the treatment.
- It may affect the colour of your hair.
- It is quite an expensive treatment.
-  Moll, R., Divo, M., & Langbein, L. (2008). The human keratins: biology and pathology.Histochemistry and cell biology,129(6), 705–733. doi:10.1007/s00418-008-0435-6