Before you opt for some home-based hair dye method, here are the reasons on why you should not use mass-marketed hair dyes that are available online, in local stationary and makeup stores.
a) Two ingredients that make hair dying really dangerous are formaldehyde and coal tar. The former is a preservative that damages the hair texture and the latter is a colouring agent. Both formaldehyde and coal tar though colour the gray hair, damage the condition of the hair over all.
b) Ammonia and para-phenylenediamine content of hair dye can lead to dermatitis, swelling, itching, and blistering.
c) Also, the mass production of hair dye by different brands make it a tough call to pick one.
Considering the above-mentioned demerits of hair dye colours, it is definitely better that you opt for natural hair colouring methods at home. These natural homely hair colour methods might be slow to show results but the results are long lasting.
So, if your hair has started graying and you need to cover the uncoloured patches, then these are the following homely natural methods that you can follow, take a look.
Both liquor tea and coffee work as a natural hair dyer.
- To use coffee as a hair dye, dissolve upto three tablespoons of coffee powder in a mug of water. When the coffee powder is completely dissolved, use a hair brush and apply this on the gray hair. The more you let the coffee liquor stay on your gray hair, the more long lasting the outcome. For the coffee hair dying process at home, try using espresso coffee. At the end, make sure to wash your hair with cold water.
- To use tea as hair dye, dip 3-5 teabags in two cups of water. When a concentrated tea mix is ready, mix it with your hair conditioner and apply this with a hair brush on the gray zones. At the end, you must wash your hair with cold water.
Henna helps in restoring the pH balance of your hair.
- To use the henna powder hair dye, you will need - one cup of henna powder and two cups of lemon juice.
- Mix the henna powder and lime juice into a thick concentration. To make it extra effective, add a spoon of hung curd and vinegar to the henna mix.
- Mix all the ingredients thoroughly into a paste.
- Apply this paste with hands or a hair brush all over your hair. Let it sit for 1 hour. Then, go for a shampoo wash.
One of the fastest ways to cover your discoloured hair is using the potato peel hack.
- For this, you will need a big bowl of fresh potato peels.
- Put the potato peels in a saucepan of water and boil for 30 minutes.
- Strain to get the boiled water. Use a cotton pad or hair brush to apply this water only on the gray areas of your hair.
- Rinse with cold water.
Though you may find this shocking, but applying ghee on the hair actually helps reduce hair graying. However, one-time application does not help. You have to use a nice hair oil to see this work on your gray hair.
- Warm three to five scoops of ghee in a microwave until it is lukewarm in nature.
- Apply the melted ghee on your gray hair with hands.
- Rinse with cold water.
- This ghee remedy for white hair can be done every day before bathtime.
The 100% natural remedy that works on gray hair is flowers. For the flower-based hair dye remedy, you will need - calendula, marigold, rosehips and hibiscus. Please note, the end result might be brownish hair.
- Dry the flowers under sun for three days.
- Next, in boiling water, put the dry flowers and let it boil for 30 minutes.
- Cool the mixture, strain and spray this flower residue all over your hair. Try drying your hair under direct sun for extra benefits.
- 3 Secrets To Healthy Hair You Must Know Today
- Did You Know These Amazing Skin Benefits Of Dead Sea Salt?
- Here's Why You Should Use A Sunscreen For Your Hair
- 10 Amazing Keratin-rich Foods For Hair
- Find Out How Coffee Helps In Hair Growth
- Basic Beauty Tips That You Were Unaware Of
- Coffee Benefits For Skin And Hair
- How Does Aloe Vera Help In Preventing Hair Fall
- 6 Hair Care Mistakes You Didn't Know You Were Doing
- Worried Of Unwanted Facial Hair? Here Are 3 Amazing Lemon Face Packs!
- Hair Care Benefits Of Red Wine
- Here Are The Oils That Can Help You Get Smooth Hair