Cracked heels are also called heel fissures and can be very painful if left untreated. The cracks that we see on our heels are caused by various reasons, like lack of moisturization, dehydration, cold and dry weather, overexposure to pollution, soaking the foot in water for a long time, ageing, and using harsh soaps on your feet.
As there are no oil glands on the heels, this area of the feet is generally dry. Standing on a cold, hard floor for a long time, intensive walking, and being overweight, etc., are also other reasons why heels crack.
If left untreated for a long time, it will lead to painful fissures, which will make it difficult to walk and can also cause infections.
Thankfully, we have these 10 best homemade remedies just for you. Go ahead, take a look and do try these out if you find them to be suitable for your skin.
Home Remedies For Cracked Heels
This is one of the easiest ways to remove the dead skin cells from your feet. The skin around the cracked heels is thick and dry and tends to crack more when you apply pressure.
- Soak your feet in lukewarm water for 10-15 minutes.
- Rub pumice stone to remove the dead skin cells from your heels.
- Pat dry your feet with a clean towel.
- Apply a heel balm, mild moisturizer, or petroleum jelly on the affected area.
- Wear cotton socks.
- Do this every day, until your feet are smooth and soft.
Note: Do not scrub your feet when they're dry. This will damage your skin.
The fats present in vegetable oils nourish the skin and make it soft and smooth.
- Soak your feet in water for 10 minutes and scrub your feet with a pumice stone or a loofah.
- Pat dry your feet.
- Apply vegetable oil on your heels.
- Put on a pair of cotton socks and leave them overnight.
- Repeat this process for a few days, until the cracks are completely gone.
Avocado And Banana Foot Mask:
Avocado is known as "Nature's Butter" and is rich in essential oils, vitamins, and fats that help repair the damaged skin. Banana is a good moisturizer and makes your skin smooth and soft.
- Blend one ripe banana and half an avocado in a blender.
- Make it into a smooth paste.
- Apply this paste all over your heels and feet.
- Leave it on for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Do this every day until your heels become soft and smooth.
Lemon Juice And Petroleum Jelly:
The acidic properties in lemon help you get rid of dry skin. Petroleum jelly is a good moisturizer and it makes your skin soft and nice.
- Soak your feet in lukewarm water for 20 minutes.
- Pat dry with a clean towel.
- In a bowl, mix one tablespoon of petroleum jelly with a few drops of lemon juice.
- Apply this mixture over your heels and feet; and massage it until the mixture is absorbed into the skin.
- Put a pair of clean cotton socks and leave it overnight.
- Do this regularly before going to bed.
Apple Cider Vinegar:
Apple cider vinegar contains mild acids which help soften the skin and remove the dead skin cells, making it easier to exfoliate.
- Soak your feet in warm water.
- Now, add 1 cup of apple cider vinegar in warm water.
- Leave your feet in the water for about 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, scrub your feet with a pumice stone.
- Pat dry with a towel.
- Do this every day until your heels are healed.
Oatmeal And Olive Oil:
Oatmeal contains anti-inflammatory and moisturizing properties that help remove the dead skin cells and thereby make the skin soft and smooth.
Olive oil contains vitamin E, which protects the skin and promotes the skin cell renewal. It helps remove the dead skin cells and smoothens out the rough texture of dry skin.
In a bowl, add 1 tablespoon of powdered oatmeal and a few drops of olive oil.
Mix the ingredients properly and make it into a nice, thick paste.
Apply this paste all over your heels and feet; and leave it on for 30 minutes.
Rinse it off with water and pat dry it with a clean towel.
Do this every alternate day.
Castor oil is rich in fatty acids that allow deep hydration for your skin. Castor oil has anti-fungal and antibacterial properties that make the skin soft and smooth and prevent infections.
- Soak your feet in warm water and scrub your heels using a pumice stone.
- Pat dry your feet with a towel.
- Now, apply a generous amount of castor oil on the affected area.
- Put on a pair of clean cotton socks and leave it on overnight.
- Do this every day, until the cracks on your heels are completely cured.
Rice Flour, Honey, And Apple Cider Vinegar Mask:
Rice flour is very effective for curing the cracked heel problem. It is an amazing exfoliator and removes the dead skin cells and prevents the cracking and dryness.
Honey is a natural humectant, which traps moisture and makes the skin smooth and soft.
- In a bowl, add 2-3 tablespoons of ground flour and add a few drops of honey and apple cider vinegar.
- Mix the ingredients properly and apply it on your cracked heels.
- Soak your feet in warm water for 10 minutes and gently scrub your feet with the above-mentioned paste.
- Repeat this process until you are satisfied with the result.
Glycerin And Rose Water:
Glycerin is a humectant and it has the ability to lock in the moisture in your skin.
Rose water contains antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antiseptic properties that are very good for the skin.
- In a bowl, mix an equal amount of glycerin and rose water.
- Apply this mixture on your feet and put on a clean pair of socks.
- Do this daily before going to bed.
Vitamin E Oil:
Vitamin E is a nutrient and an antioxidant. It nourishes and hydrates the skin and makes your feet smooth and soft.
Break 5-6 vitamin E capsules and remove the oil from it.
Apply the vitamin E oil on the affected areas.
For best results, apply it before going to bed and wear a pair of clean cotton socks.
Do this every day until you are satisfied with the results.
Tips To Prevent Cracked Heels:
There are various ways to prevent cracking of heels.
- Always keep your feet/heels moisturized.
- Wear comfortable shoes and avoid overexposure to pollution.
- Scrub your heels regularly.
- Massage your feet with oils to prevent dryness.
- Drink plenty of water.
TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- India’s Crorepatis Have Increased By 60 Per Cent: CBDT
- How To Avail 20% Discount On iPhone XR Purchase
- Here's Why Manikgad Fort Near Mumbai Should Be Your Next Destination
- Homemade Aloe Vera Moisturiser For Oily Skin
- Radhika On #MeToo: I Love That This Movement Has Come Here!
- Hero Destini 125 First Ride Review — A Cost-Effective But Premium Scooter
- Deodhar Trophy: Chance For Ashwin, Rahane, Raina And Karthik To Remain In ODI Reckoning
- Rupee In Trouble With Year-end Forecast At 76.50 Per US Dollar