- 8 hrs ago What Are Phytonutrients? What Are Their Benefits To Human Health?
- 11 hrs ago Mars Transit in Pisces On 17 May 2022: Impact On Zodiac Signs And Remedies
- 13 hrs ago Cannes Film Festival's First Female President: Iris Knobloch
- 14 hrs ago World Hypertension Day: Hypertension, Holistic Healthcare Through Ayurveda And Yoga (Expert Article)
- News Explained: Gyanvapi Mosque row and the relevance of the Places of Worship Act
- Sports MI vs SRH IPL 2022: Full List of Award Winners, Man of The Match, Post Match Presentation, Scorecard, Records
- Movies Nakuul Mehta Says He Hasn't Switched On TV For The Last 2 Years After His Son Was Born For THIS Reason
- Finance This Is How RBI’s DigiSaathi Will Help You
- Education World AIDS Vaccine Day 2022: History, Significance And Quotes About HIV Vaccine Awareness Day
- Travel Best Museums In Bangalore
- Automobiles Keeway K-Light 250V, Viesta 300 & Sixties 300i Revealed Ahead Of Launch
- Technology OnePlus Ace Racing Edition Spotted On India’s Official Website; Launch Expected Soon
Ahead of the nominations for the 2022 Academy Awards, the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences, which organises the Oscars, released its shortlist in 10 categories on December 21.
Maria Schrader up for best international feature
German director Maria Schrader — best known internationally for her Emmy Award-winning series "Unorthodox" — has been shortlisted in the best international feature category with her science fiction romance, "I'm Your Man," which premiered at the Berlin Film Festival earlier this year.
Other nods in the category include Austria's entry, "Great Freedom," by Sebastian Meise. The film won Cannes Jury Prize in 2021.
Iran director Asghar Farhadi, who has already won two Oscars in the best foreign film category with "A Separation" and "A Salesman," is back in the run with "A Hero."
The Danish animated film "Flee," which tells the story of a refugee from Afghanistan, is also on the list. Jonas Poher Rasmussen's film is the first in the Academy Awards' history to be eligible in the animated, documentary and international categories.
Bhutan is also a step closer to an Oscar nomination for the first time, with the film "Lunana: A Yak in the Classroom" also landing on the list.
The French film "Titane," which won the Palme d'Or at this year's Cannes film festival, was the shortlist's surprise snub.
Hans Zimmer scores twice
German composer Hans Zimmer also made it to the list, with two entries in the best original score category — one for "Dune," a remake of the 1965 science fiction novel by Frank Herbert, and the other for the latest James Bond film, "No Time to Die."
British composer Johnny Greenwood also landed two nominations in the category, for his compositions in "The Power of the Dog" and "Spencer."
Beyonce competes against husband Jay-Z
Singer Beyonce and her husband Jay-Z both feature in the best original song category, for "King Richard" and "Guns Go Bang" respectively. If they both appear in the final nominations, it will be the first time in Oscar history that a husband and wife compete in the same category.
Other notable singers in the shortlist include Billie Eilish and her brother Finneas O'Connell for their title track in "No Time To Die," and Jennifer Hudson for her rendition of Aretha Franklin's "Respect."
Eilish's personal look on her life, "The World's a Little Blurry," has also been shortlisted in the best documentary category.
The final list of nominations and nominees for all films will be announced on February 8, 2022. The award ceremony takes place in Hollywood's Dolby theater on March 27.
International features, the complete list
Amid various year's-end compilations, the Academy's selection of films in the best international feature category reads like a viewing recommendation for the upcoming months.
Here's the complete list:
"Great Freedom" (Austria) – directed by Sebastian Meise
"Playground" (Belgium) – directed by Laura Wandel
"Lunana: A Yak in the Classroom" (Bhutan) – directed by Pawo Choyning Dorji
"Flee" (Denmark) – directed by Jonas Poher Rasmussen
"Compartment No. 6" (Finland) – directed by Juho Kuosmanen
"I'm Your Man" (Germany) – directed by Maria Schrader
"Lamb" (Iceland) – directed by Valdimar Johannsson
"A Hero" (Iran) – directed by Asghar Farhadi
"The Hand of God" (Italy) – directed by Paolo Sorrentino
"Drive My Car" (Japan) – directed by Ryusuke Hamaguchi
"Hive" (Kosovo) – directed by Blerta Basholli
"Prayers for the Stolen" (Mexico) – directed by Tatiana Huezo
"The Worst Person in the World" (Norway) – directed by Joachim Trier
"Plaza Catedral" (Panama) – directed by Abner Benaim
"The Good Boss" (Spain) – directed by Fernando Leon de Aranoa.
mg/eg (AFP, dpa)
- art cultureWill Smith Gets 10-Year Oscars Ban For Slapping Chris Rock At Oscar Awards 2022
- art cultureOscars 2022 Winners: CODA, Dune, Will Smith, Jessica Chastain, Hans Zimmer Win Top Honours
- womenOscars: Women Directors Write History With Every Win At The Academy Awards
- art cultureOscar Awards: African Cinema, Bollywood Films Remain Unrepresented - Here's A Look At The Reasons
- art cultureBirthday Special: Hollywood Actress Glenn Close's Journey And Why She Deserves An Oscar Award
- art cultureOscar Awards 2022 Nominations: The Power Of The Dog, Dune, West Side Story Lead The List
- art cultureOscar Award-Winning Black Actor And Activist Sidney PoitierPasses Away At 94: Life And Times
- menSteven Spielberg Birthday Special: About The Oscar-Winning Director And His Movies
- fashion trendsOscars 2021: Zendaya’s Yellow Chiffon Dress Is What We Wish We Had In Our Closet
- fashion trendsPriyanka Chopra And Nick Jonas Slay It In Their Classy Outfits As They Steal Oscar After Announcing Nominees
- women fashionOscars 2020: Best Beauty Looks That Graced The Red Carpet
- women fashionOscars 2020: Scarlett Johansson Sizzles On The Red Carpet In A Powerful And Highlighted Make-up Look