The term 'Makara' means 'crocodile' and 'asana' means pose. Hence this Yoga pose derives its name, 'Makarasana' Makarasana serves as an excellent relaxation asana.
- Lie down flat on the stomach.
- Let loose your lower torso
- Bend the hands at the elbow
- Place the palms below the cheeks.
- Raise the shoulder and the neck
- Position yourself comfortably.
- Breathe normally and close your eyes.
- Lie on your stomach with face down and chest resting on the floor.
- Place the hands the side
- Spread out the legs with heels in and toes pointing out.
- Fold the left hand at the elbow and bring it below the armpit to place it on the right shoulder.
- Fold the right hand at the elbow and place it on the left shoulder.
- A triangle is formed of the folded arms.
- Place the head on the triangle formed, with face facing inside.
- Remain in this position for sometime and release yourself of the asana.
If one finds it difficult to form the triangle, one can simply have the left arm hold the right elbow and right hand hold the left elbow.
Bring the elbows towards the body to raise the shoulders and the upper chest a little off the ground.
- Brings relaxation to the body and the mind.
- Beneficial in Sciatica.
- Improves digestion.
- Helps bring down blood pressure
- Relaxes the muscles.
- Aids in anxiety and tension and thereby induces good sleep.
- Helps in asthma cases.
- Aids in reducing pain in the waist.
Before practice, please consult your doctor in case you are suffering from ailments. It is recommended to practice under the guidance of experts.