As per the Vedas, we are living in the age of ignorance and immorality that is also known as Kali Yuga. This age is said to have started from 3102 BC, when the five planets namely Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn all fell in at 0° of the Aries sign, approximately 35 years after the times of Lord Krishna.
It is said that among all the four ages, that is, Sat Yuga, Treta Yuga, Dwapar Yuga and Kali Yuga, the latter is the darkest of all. These four Yugas form a cycle beginning with Sat Yuga and ending with the Kali Yuga.
It is said that as these ages will pass by, there will be a continuous deterioration of spirituality in men and women, so much so that by the end of Kali Yuga people will become godless and have no virtue or morality left in their characters.
Attributes like lust, greed, anger, selfishness, etc, will become a part of their core nature and righteousness will be diminished to one-fourth to what it was in the Sat Yuga.
The biggest mystery that has shrouded this age is that when will Kali Yuga end, and what will happen when Kali Yuga ends? The holy scriptures state that the previous Yugas saw their end with the incarnations of Lord Vishnu, who took birth on this planet to set the course right.
The same scriptures also state that the end of Kali Yuga will witness the twenty secondth incarnation of the great Lord to put an end to this Dark Age and bring back the golden age of Sat Yuga. Read on for more information.
1. According to one of the theories, Kali Yuga comprises of 4,32,000 human years and a general accepted notion is that Dwapar Yuga ended and Kali Yuga began nearly 5000 years back.
This leaves us with the remaining 4,27,000 years for the Kali Yuga to end. These scriptures quote that after the end of this Kali Yuga, we will again enter the Golden age of wisdom and knowledge that is Sat Yuga.
2. Bramha Purana mentions that there will be a duration of 10,000 years of the Kali Yuga, which will be the 'golden period of Kali Yuga’ and it is after these years that the process of downfall of the human race will speed up, and by the end of it spirituality and consciousness this age will lose its meaning to the earthly people.
Thus, to restore the order, the end of Kali Yuga will see another incarnation of Lord Vishnu as 'Kalki’.
3. Some indicators of the end of Kali Yuga that are quoted by some of the people include that the human lifespan will be reduced to a mere 12 years, and the height of the human body will also be limited to 4 feet.
4. Some texts like Mahabharata and a few others state that the original number of years of Kali Yuga is 12,000 years. They do not convert the divine years into human years, at the end of which Lord Vishnu will take his Kalki avatar.
5. As some people accept that the span of Kali Yuga is nearly 5000 years and it almost coincides with the beginning of the 'Great Cycle’ of the Mayan calendar, it is also believed by some that the Kali Yuga ended on 12th December of the year 2012, when the Mayan calendar states the shift towards a new awakened age from the older one.