India is a wonderful country with all its glorious festivals. After the pompous celebration of Navratri, people get back to their normal lives but the sense of celebration still resonates in their minds. Karwa Chauth is such a festival which lights up your mood with its magical touch. Specifically, this is a festival celebrated by married women of North India.
According to the Hindu calendar, the festival is celebrated on the month of ‘Kartik’, just after the full moon. Here, ‘Karwa’ means small earthen pot and ‘Chauth’ stands for the fourth day of the dark-fortnight (Krishna-Paksha). On this occasion, married women keep fast for the long life and prosperity of their husbands. The fast starts with the sunrise and women break it after seeing the moon.
This festival consists of several rituals. Fasting is the most important part of it. Hindu women perform all rituals with complete dedication. With passion and vigor, Karwa Chauth is now celebrated throughout the country with regional variations. But what is the significance of Karwa Chauth? Every festival has its own importance. If you know about the significance of Karwa Chauth, the spirit of the occasion will increase a lot. So, before celebrating Karwa Chauth this year, know the significance of this special day-
1. Establish A Strong Marital Bond- What is the significance of Karwa Chauth? The fast is observed by married women for the sake of their husbands. This festival strengthens the love between the couple. Today, many men observe fast along with their wives to show their support and love.
2. Bond Between Mother-In-Law And Daughter-In-Law- Significance of Karwa Chauth also lies in the reinforcement of the bond between mother-in-law and daughter-in-law. A girl leaves her family behind and comes to her in-laws' house. Through the ‘sargi’, (gifts of mother-in-law to daughter-in-law), a lovely relationship can be made between these two important women of the house.
3. Prayer For Good Harvest- This festival falls during the wheat-sowing time. The northern states are well-known for wheat cultivation. As the wheat seeds are stored in earthen pots or ‘Karvas’, it is believed that, women celebrate the festival with the hope of good wheat cultivation.
4. Self-Restriction- What is the significance of Karwa Chauth in Hindu religion? A fast from sunrise to moonrise is not an easy task. It is the symbolism of self-control and focus on the importance of the festival.
5. Self-Dedication- It is believed that the fasting ritual of the wife offers health and prosperity to the husband. Not only for the husband’s well-being, but the rituals of Karwa Chauth are also a token of dedication offered to the almighty. So, do you realise the significance of Karwa Chauth?
So, Karwa Chauth is not just a mere festival. The underlying significance of Karwa Chauth can make you understand the value of it. The festival is celebrated by several women at one place, all dressed up in glorious sarees and ornaments. They put mehendi on their palms and worship the moon together. A ‘pujarin’ or elderly woman conducts the whole function. After seeing the moon, they break their fast by taking water and food from their husbands.