Lord Ganesha is given prime importance among the Panch Devtas. The Panch Devtas are Lord Ganesha, Vishnu, Shiva, Shakti and Surya. In Hindu mythology, Panch Devtas together makes the Brahman (universe), which is supreme and absolute. Lord Ganesha is the son of lord Shiva and the God is given the first honour of worship in Hinduism. Before undertaking anything auspicious Hindus offer prayers to Lord Ganesha.
In Hindu families it is a tradition to take 10 Sanskrit names of Lord Ganesha before undertaking any new initiative. So, here are the 10 Sanskrit names of the Lord Ganesha with their meanings.
1. Sumukh: This represents one who has a beautiful face. The idol of lord Ganesha is considered very beautiful. Though, Ganesha's small eyes signify seriousness. Long nose and his flat long ears reflects his wisdom and intellect. People believe that because he has got long ears he listens to the complaints and grievances of his devotees.
2. Ek danta: This means the one who has one tooth. There is a story behind the reason why Ganesha is called 'ek danta'. The story says, once his mother Parvati went to take a bath. She told Ganesha to stand on the entrance and not allow anyone to enter inside. Then, Lord Parashuram arrived there and he tried to enter the place where Parvati was taking a bath. But when Ganesha objected to this, Parashuram got angry and attacked Ganesha with his weapon. Ganesha then lost one of his teeth and was named "Ek Danta".
3. Kapil: Cow is known as Kapila. The priests believed that as cow gives milk to make life of a man healthy. Similarly, Lord Ganesha gives knowledge and wisdom that keeps man happy.
4. Gajakarna: 'Gaja' mean elephant and 'karna' means ears. Ganesha has ears of an elephant and therefore he is known as Gajakarna.
5. Lambodar: Lambodar means the one who has big belly.
6. Vikat: It means ferocious and dreadful. Lord Ganesha stands firmly to defeat all the evils. So, he is also known as Vikat.
7. Vighnanash: Lord Ganesha is believed to be the destroyer of all evil and calamities. He is known to help human beings in their difficulties. Hence, he is known as Vighnanash.
8. Dhoomra Ketu: Dhoomra Ketu means agni or fire. Lord Ganesha destroys all hindrance which comes in the way of mankind. He enables man to achieve the success by providing strength and courage.
9. Ganadhyaksha: It means controller or a guru. As Hindu mythology believes that Lord Ganesha controls all human beings, demons, vedas etc. So, he is also known as Ganadhyaksha.
10. Bhalchandra: This mean the one who has moon on his head. Moon signifies the Universe, therefore Ganesha is also known as Bhalchandra.