Gone are the days where the gentlemen courted the ladies and marriage was all about love. In the 21st century, love has little to do with marriage. For a marriage to work, the couples needs to have compatibility. The idea of compatibility too has changed. Earlier, you checked social and financial compatibility of a couple. Coming from the same social class (or caste) and belonging to evenly matched (financially) families was once a mark of compatibility.
Now, if you are falling for a guy, you would check for professional compatibility. Can you both sustain your respective careers without having any clashes? That is the question asked before a marriage takes place.
Professional Compatibility Of A Couple:
1. The Hippocratic Oath: There is a common belief among the masses that doctors must be married only to doctors. This is because only a doctor can realise the weight of the Hippocratic oath to save lives no matter what. If you are falling for a man who is a doctor by profession, he might have to cancel your honeymoon for an important surgery. Are you up for the challenge?
2. Globe Trotters: Marrying someone who has a fabulous globe trotting career like that of a marketing professional or a performance artist can be taxing. He or she is going to travel for making a living. You should either be content with being a homemaker or have a job that can be done from your laptop so that you can travel with your partner.
3. Never Marry Lawyers: Nobody wants to marry a lawyer. Fathers don't give their daughters to a lawyer, guys are scared to ask a lawyer for a date because they don't know under what section they might get sued! Not all lawyers are insensitive enough to keep suing people for no reason. But, the fear psychosis works against them. So, legal aid is what a lawyer needs in terms of marriage problems!
4. The Fourth Estate: Before you pop the question to a media-person, ask yourself if he or she is marriage material for you? The Press and media are considered as a fourth estate, the watchdogs of the society and the government. They have to work very hard to play their role. A crime reporter for example will have to deal with worst crooks and visit the filthiest places in town. Late night reporting, political turmoil and a very flamboyant lifestyle is what you are getting into.
5. Lights, Camera, Action: It is never easy to be a star wife. If you are falling for a guy who is a celebrity such as a famous model or an actor, then you will have to live under his shadow for ever. If your wife is a celebrity, you might be proud of her dazzling career, but you still have to deal with the fact that millions of men fantasize about her! Does that make him or her marriage material for a normal person doing a 9 to 5 job?