When a would-be mom is found to be carrying twins, the reaction could be mixed. Just as the news of becoming mother brings with it a profound joy, there is also a sense of apprehension, concern and may be even scare.
Carrying twins - is there an extra bit of tension associated with this? How to cope with the pre-birth phase? These questions may instantly come to the mind. Later, the concern is about raising two children together. Will a divided attention harm their development?
But, there is nothing to worry about, provided you gain from the 10 tips mentioned below:
1. First Reaction: The first reaction that comes with the news of going to be the mother of twins is the one of shock. But there is no reason to feel guilty about it, as it is completely normal. Allow the new reality to settle first. This is the first step you take towards getting accustomed to the new reality. If your mind is completely at ease, your body is going to take less stress and the pregnancy will not be affected.
2. About The Looks: Since you are carrying one extra life inside you, your body will look fully developed even in the early stage. A few uncomfortable questions will also fly in, but take all of them into your stride and take full care of the babies. Getting over the psychological hurdle means a lot while you are pregnant with twin babies.
3. Use A Moisturizer On Your Belly: Since your belly is having a lot of stretch and stress, apply oil on it, on the sides and the back, so that the skin remains moist and you have less stretch marks and itching.
4. Do Not Eat More: Just because you are expecting more than one child, you need not take more food than normal. Listen to your body's demand and eat when you are hungry and stop when you feel you are full.
5. Take Healthy Food: Your diet must have fresh ingredients and not processed food. A balanced diet which will help your kids includes:
• Fruits and vegetables
• Starchy food like whole grains, rice, pasta
• Protein like well-cooked fish, meat, eggs
• Dairy products like milk, yogurt, cheese
6. Small Meals At A Time: Pregnancy with twins requires a lot of nutrition, and hence keep a check on your food intake but avoid eating too much at a time, as it will make you feel uncomfortable. You can even divide your breakfast into two parts at one-and-half-hour distance.
7. Nutrition Intake: A minimum of 400 micrograms of folic acid daily is required for the first 12 weeks of pregnancy, irrespective of the number of babies you are carrying inside you. It is also important to take adequate Vitamin D during the entire pregnancy phase.
8. Use Maternity Belts: This will help you make regular movements without putting much pressure on the legs and back and cause pain. Maternity belts or belly bands help in redistributing the weight and makes life easier.
9. Have A Sound Sleep: If you have a problem in getting a sound night's sleep, thanks to the general discomfort and urge to urinate frequently, it is always advisable to make it up during the day. But, don't have inadequate sleep which is not good for your sensitive health in this period.
10. Getting Support: It is very important to have a strong support system behind you during pregnancy. The support needs to come both from your family and the society as a whole. Talk more with your partner on how to arrange things from here on. You can also attend events where you get to meet more women pregnant with twins and share stories with them. The collective thoughts will make you feel lighter while carrying the two babies inside you.