Pregnancy is a very special stage in a woman’s life. The very process of giving birth to a newborn is a miracle in itself. These nine months that a woman carries her baby can take her through a lot of ups and downs. Physical and mental changes can also occur at various stages.
Some are easy to get over with while some are a little difficult. One question that often worries expecting mothers is that is bleeding normal in the first trimester of pregnancy?
Bleeding and spotting are not very uncommon during the first trimester. However, both are not the same. Similar to bleeding, is spotting normal during the first trimester of pregnancy?
Spotting is an occurrence of a few drops of blood and is not a matter of great concern. However, if you happen to notice any amount of spotting, it would be best to inform your gynaecologist first.
It is always best to keep the doctor informed of every small change occurring in your body, as it is a matter of safety for you and your baby.
Bleeding on the other hand is a heavy flow of blood and can be enough to soak a panty liner. There can be several reasons for this bleeding; some may be serious while others may not be. In such cases, getting the cause examined is always advisable.
• Implantation bleeding: This is a very common cause of bleeding. In some cases, there may not be more spotting and may last for a couple of hours to a couple of days.
During the initial stage of pregnancy, the fertilized egg implants itself in the lining of the uterus, which is when this bleeding occurs. Many women do not realise that they are pregnant and mistake this bleeding with a very short menstrual flow.
• Postcoital bleeding: A little amount of bleeding after sexual intercourse is normal. It is not necessary for bleeding to occur; but even if it does occur, it is common and the pregnancy can be a normal one.
• Miscarriage: This can be a serious issue. There could either be a threat of miscarriage or a complete miscarriage. If you experience cramps and pains along with bleeding, there could be a case of threatened miscarriage. The foetus may still be in the uterus, but the outcome of the pregnancy is in doubt.
However, if the pain and cramps lessen and an examination shows the uterus to be empty, it is a case of spontaneous abortion or a complete miscarriage. This could be due to various reasons, but one of the most common causes of first trimester bleeding happens to be this.
• Ectopic pregnancy: When a fertilised egg implants itself outside the uterus, like the fallopian tube, it is said to be a case of ectopic pregnancy. Is bleeding normal in the first trimester of pregnancy? Not in this case.
In fact, it is one of the most dangerous cases. When the fertilised egg grows, it carries the risk of rupturing the fallopian tube, thereby threatening the life of both the foetus and the mother. Symptoms may vary from pain, bleeding or even a feeling of lightheadedness.
• Molar pregnancy: This is not actually a real pregnancy, but the growth of an abnormal tissue inside the uterus. This tumour type of a growth can be a result of some hormonal issues and may not be life threatening. In very rare cases, these tumours happen to be cancerous.
• Blighted ovum: Also known as embryonic failure, wherein the embryo fails to develop in the proper location. This may be due to some abnormality in the embryo and has nothing to do with any of your actions.
• Intrauterine foetal demise: When the developing foetus dies inside the uterus, it is a case of intrauterine foetal demise. This could happen due to reasons similar to a miscarriage. Chances of intrauterine foetal demise are greater in the first trimester and very rare in the second and third trimesters.
After having seen so many points we once again ask, is bleeding normal in the first trimester of pregnancy? No, not in all cases. The doctor best knows the possible causes and would require your complete support to come to a proper conclusion. So, when you visit your doctor, do not keep back on any detail, as it is vital for the safety of you and your baby.
Subscribe to Boldsky