Most of the pregnant women suffer from body pain, especially in the back and legs. Leg pain during pregnancy is very common after the second trimester. The pain is felt throughout the day but cramps are very high at night when the leg muscles relax. Increasing body weight and fatigue are common causes of leg pain during pregnancy.
Causes of leg pain during pregnancy:
- Pressure on the legs is more when the woman starts putting on weight. This is why at night when the muscles relax, leg cramps are unbearable.
- The uterus expands during pregnancy, thus blocking few leg nerves and muscles. Due to lack of blood flow in the leg muscles, cramps are felt.
- Lack of nutrients especially deficiency in magnesium, calcium and potassium also causes leg pain during pregnancy.
- High levels of phosphorous found in snacks, soda and meat can cause leg cramps during pregnancy.
How to cure leg pain during pregnancy?
- Stretching is an effective exercise to cure leg pain during pregnancy. Stretch the leg and calf muscles in the morning and before going to bed.
- keep legs in warm water for 20-30 minutes before going to bed. This relaxes the leg muscles and reduces pain.
- Avoid sitting with legs crossed for a long time. It is best to change sitting positions when you start feeling mild pain in the legs.
- Rotate the ankles when sitting with legs crossed. This is an effective way to cure leg pain during pregnancy.
- Take a short walk everyday. It is healthy for both the mother and baby. Walking reduces leg pain and strengthens the leg muscles.
- Drink plenty of fluids and have nutritious food such as green leafy vegetables and fresh fruits everyday.
Leg pain during pregnancy is not a serious issue. Have a healthy diet and do stretching exercise when you get leg cramps.