- Postpartum fever is when you have a temperature of above 38.0 °C . The fever is felt between the second and tenth day after delivery.
- Postpartum fever is a symptom of an infection. It is good to get blood test and consult a doctor to become sure of the infection and cure them on time.
- Fever can also be due to a localized bacterial infection that can occur after a vaginal delivery. Endometritis is one of the main causes behind the infection in the postnatal stage.
- Inflammation in the inner lining of the uterus or lower abdomen are signs of postpartum fever.
- Foul smelling lochia can also be a sign of infection causing postpartum fever. Consult a doctor if you get high temperature ands have foul smelling urine.
- Always change clothes. It is important to maintain hygiene. Prefer cotton clothes as they dry easily and are comfortable too.
- Breast tenderness can also lead to postnatal fever. Avoid wearing tight bras. Maternity bras are ideal postnatal clothes.
- Sometimes, breastfeeding can also cause fever. This is a common postnatal health problem which can be cured easily.
- Urine infection can also increase your body temperature. Have plenty of water and fluids to re-hydrate the body.
These are few causes and cure of postnatal fever. Always consult your doctor to be on the safer side.