After delivery, a woman goes through several mental and physical changes. During the postnatal stage, a women can get several infections and other health problems. Be it postpartum depression, bleeding, breast pain, yeast infections or fever, almost every woman suffers from some health problem during the postnatal stage. Fever is due to infections after delivery.
- Postpartum fever is when you have a temperature of above 38.0 °C . The fever is felt between the second and tenth day after delivery.
- Postpartum fever is a symptom of an infection. It is good to get blood test and consult a doctor to become sure of the infection and cure them on time.
- Fever can also be due to a localized bacterial infection that can occur after a vaginal delivery. Endometritis is one of the main causes behind the infection in the postnatal stage.
- Inflammation in the inner lining of the uterus or lower abdomen are signs of postpartum fever.
- Foul smelling lochia can also be a sign of infection causing postpartum fever. Consult a doctor if you get high temperature ands have foul smelling urine.
- Always change clothes. It is important to maintain hygiene. Prefer cotton clothes as they dry easily and are comfortable too.
- Breast tenderness can also lead to postnatal fever. Avoid wearing tight bras. Maternity bras are ideal postnatal clothes.
- Sometimes, breastfeeding can also cause fever. This is a common postnatal health problem which can be cured easily.
- Urine infection can also increase your body temperature. Have plenty of water and fluids to re-hydrate the body.
These are few causes and cure of postnatal fever. Always consult your doctor to be on the safer side.