Most of the mothers complain that their baby does not sleep well at night. Staying up nights after the baby is born causes anxiety to the new parents. To find a solution to this problem, you must determine whether the place where the baby is sleeping is comfortable or not. Putting the baby in a crib is a western way of parenting. In the Asian system, the baby sleep in the same bed with teh parents.
Both schools of though have their own advantages and
disadvantages. Let check out each of the options in detail.
Where Should Your Baby Sleep?
1. Sleeping close to the baby in bed has its own set of advantages. First of all a new born baby needs warmth. By sleeping next to the mother he/she can feel the comfortable womb-like warmth insinuating from the mothers body.
2. Secondly, you are there to attend to the baby's need at any time. Having a baby is an elating experience but waking up every hour to check on the baby is not. So if you are close together, you can always check on the baby without the discomfort of getting up. You can always lull the baby back to sleep if he or she cries. Sleep quality for both the mother and baby improves.
3. Thirdly there is the concept of 'co-sleeping'. According to this concept, the mother's body clock is adjusted to that of the baby. When both mother and baby sleep together, then it is the most somnolent sleep. Both mother and baby wake up refreshed from the sleep.
4. Putting the baby in the crib also has its advantages. The baby gets more space to sleep. He/she can stretch arms and legs. Moreover, a baby crib with raised sides is much safer for a baby who has learned to crawl. There is little fear of the baby crawling out of the bed.
5. Another factor that is not given too much importance in the Indian context is the personal lives of the parents. The parents cannot always enjoy a healthy intimate life with the baby in their bed. The parents get much more time with each other and maintain a healthy marriage provided the baby sleeps happily in the crib.
To come to a conclusion, you can take the best of both worlds. Let the baby stay in the crib and get the crib in your bedroom. Using these parenting tips, you get your own space and the baby gets its own. You can also ensure the baby's safety and everyone will be happy.