Top 5 Bizarre Rituals Around World – Strange but
1. In Africa, the Masai tribesmen consider spitting as an act of respect and friendship. When a child is born, his friends and relatives wish good luck to the baby by spitting. Just like how we wish each other as hello, good morning etc they spit at each other to strengthen bonding and make new relationship. Even while making deals and bargains, the bizarre ritual is strictly followed.
2. In an Indian state (Maharashtra), there is a common practice
of tossing newly born babies. A muslim shrine in India observes
this strange custom every year. Babies are tossed from a 15 meter
tall temple and by doing so, they believe that it brings good luck,
courage and intelligence to baby well into adulthood. It would be
incomplete if we didn't say that the followers hold a sheet (on
ground) to catch babies.
3. If you haven't heard of the Phuket vegetarian festival, then here is something interesting. The Thai people do not meat for nine long days and puncture their cheeks and mouth with sharp spears, knives. They believe that the Chinese gods would protect their family and relieve from pain and suffering.
4. Tibet follows a brutal funerary practice. It is called sky burial or ritual dissection. Here, the dead human body is cut in specific locations and exposed to the 'Mahabhutas" (elements, birds of prey). According to their belief (Buddhism followers), it is the soul that has a rebirth and not the body so there isn't a need to preserve as it is just an empty vessel.
5. The Shia muslims across world (especially in the Asian countries) follow a bizarre mourning ritual.To commemorate the death of Husayn ibn Ali (a grandson of Muhammad), some groups of the muslim community slit their heads with swords, knives and razor blades. The tradition called matam is endorsed by major muslim leaders.