You must be having your grandfather’s armchair even today in your house. However, it has become an antique furniture now. So, it is quite simple to understand that if you take a good care of your wooden furniture, it will last for generations.
Fine woods like oak, maple, walnut, mahogany, etc, are such items that add a uniqueness and sophistication to your house.
But, you need to take a good care of it. Do you know the remedies to look after wooden furniture in summer?
Before discussing that, you should know why summer means special care to wooden furniture. Actually, throughout the winter, the temperature is low.
Now, with a rise in temperature, there will be a tension created inside the furniture, which can probably result in cracking. Besides, the fading of colour or dirt accumulation is the other problem.
With remedies to look after wooden furniture, you can keep your
furniture clean and well-maintained.
Do you have garden chairs and other wooden arrangements?
Those need special care, as throughout the winter, they are exposed to dirt, cobwebs, leaves, bugs, bird droppings and what not.
So, here are some of the remedies to look after your wooden furniture. Read on to know more.
1. Don’t Keep In Direct Sunlight: Wooden furniture has a certain amount of moisture in it. Keeping it under direct sunlight will evaporate the moisture and it may crack at a few areas. The colour may also fade. You must not place wooden chairs very close to the fireplace also.
2. Don’t Soak In Water: Simple remedies to look after wooden furniture must include this one. Soaking may damage the finish of your furniture. Rather, take warm water and dish soap to clean the furniture. Use a toothbrush for tricky areas. Take a soft damp cloth to give that finishing touch.
3. Use Coasters And Mats: Don’t serve beverages and foods directly on your wooden coffee table. The irritating marks are too stubborn to be removed. Always use coasters or designer mats before serving anything on your coffee or wooden dining table.
4. Apply A Coat: This is one of the most important remedies to look after wooden furniture in summer. A soft paste wax of superior quality can prevent your furniture from getting damaged. Apply a thin coat directly and wait for 30 minutes. Buff it using a soft brush. Do it again after 60 minutes or so to get that shine.
5. Frequent Cleaning: Dirt and dust make your furniture scratchy. Therefore, you need to clean your wooden furniture frequently. If you have upholstered furniture, vacuum those weekly, use crevice tool to clean hidden dust and change the cushion covers regularly. Consider this among the best remedies to look after wooden furniture in summer.
6. Never Leave It In Rain: Soaking in rain water is the reason why molds and mildews get formed in wood. Rotting is another problem. So, always keep your wooden furniture inside your house when it is raining.
7. Quick-fix Tip: You take a good care of your furniture. Still, wooden furniture gets hairline cracks during summer or the colour can be damaged a little if it is bumped over. So, using a coloured shoe polish can hide those little defects effectively. Don’t forget to use the same colour however.