Are you getting less water from your shower? Is the water
spreading everywhere from your shower? Well, the shower head might
have clogged with dirt and small particles. Even after you clean it
with a pin or brush, the dirt remains inside. This is because water
contains minerals that clog the shower head. There are many natural
ways to mend these plumbing fixtures. If you want an even water
flow from the shower, here are few easy ways to clean the shower
Easy ways to clean a shower head:
- Soak the shower head in white vinegar. Vinegar is a natural ingredient that can unclog the holes. If the shower head can be removed, then unscrew or roll out the head and soak it in vinegar and water solution for 30-40 minutes. Scrub a little after soaking (if required). Wash with water and fix it back into the shower holder. Turn on the shower and let all the dirt come out from inside. If the water comes out evenly, you have succeeded in cleaning the shower head.
- Another way is to wrap the shower head with a pouch of vinegar and water solution. Attach the pouch on the tip of the head and leave for 30-45 minutes. Take out the pouch and let fresh water flow out from the shower. The minerals and vinegar will come out with the flow of water.
- Mix baking soda in water. Unscrew the shower head from the pipe and then soak for 45-60 minutes in the mix. Take the shower head out of the solution and scrub with a toothbrush. Also scrub the small holes on the shower head. You can use a pin to take out the dirt. Baking soda not only helps unclog the shower head but, it also brings back the shine of the metal. Just make sure that the metal does not react to the chemicals in baking soda.
- Lemon is acidic and this juicy fruit can be used to clean the shower head easily. Unscrew the shower head from the pipe. Scrub with a slice of lemon. Use a toothbrush to clean the holes and unclog them. You can also use this method after soaking the shower head in the baking soda solution.
- Another way to use lemon is with salt. Scrub the shower head with lemon juice and salt. You can also sprinkle salt on a lemon slice and then clean the shower head. Wash with hot water to get an unclogged shower head.
These are few easy ways to clean the clogged shower head at home. Now, you do not need a plumber to fix such minor problems. If the shower head doesn't get cleaned with any of these techniques, you have to buy a new one.