Here are simple yet effective ways to clean silver items at home:
- Wash silver items immediately after every use. Dip it in warm water with mild detergent powder. After washing, dry it with a soft cotton cloth piece.
- Soak the silver item in warm water and use a toothpaste to clean the dirt from it. Rinse with warm water after cleaning and dry it with a cotton cloth. This also helps to maintain the brightness of silver.
- If the silver is tarnished then apply the toothpaste and leave it for 20-30 minutes. Clean it with a soft brush and dry it.
- Add 1 tsp baking soda in a cup of hot water. Soak the tarnished silver in for 5-10 minutes and then clean it. This is an effective way to clean silver items at home and maintain them.
- Never clean silver with steel items as two metals react instantly. The silver can get permanent steel marks.
- Cover a cooking pot with aluminum foil and fill 2 cups of water in it. Add 2 teaspoons of baking soda and 2 teaspoons of table salt and mix in the water. Soak silver item in the pot and heat it on the stove in a medium flame. Let the solution boil for 1-3 minutes and then pour the jewelry into a sieve and rinse thoroughly. This method helps remove silver tarnish.
Try these ways to clean and maintain silver items at home.