The Brahma Kamal or the lotus of Lord Brahma is a rare a flower that you can find. This rare lotus is considered to be a magical flower because it is rare and it blooms only once in 14 years. The bloom lasts only for a couple of hours so if you miss it, you have to wait for another 14 years. The myth goes that every time a Brahma Kamal blooms, the wishes of the person(s) who see it blooming will come true. In reality, the flower blooms once is a couple of years and not 14 years but watching it bloom is truly a spiritual experience.
The scientific name for this magical flower is Saussurea
obvallata. As the scientific name indicates, it is actually a type
of cactus although 'kamal' means lotus. This type of cactus grows
only in the Himalayas. But you can see samples growing in hot and
humid climates as well.
To grow this flower at home, you need the skills of an expert gardener. Here are some of the tips that can help you grow this flower.
Tips To Grow The Brahma Kamal:
- The plant usually grows from cuttings. The leaves of the plant are flat and thick. The stem is almost covered by the leaves. The flower emerges from the leaves.
- The plant must be planted just before winter. It is used to growing in the chilly Himalayan region, so a bit of favourable cold weather will help it grow better.
- To grow this flower you need plenty of indirect sunshine and, a very fertile but rocky soil. We are not talking about the deeply silted soil of the lowlands but rough mountain soil. The soil needs to be well draining soil so that it retains minimum water.
- As the Brahma Kamal is a type of cactus, it does not need too much water. You must water it once in two to three days unless you are in a really dry place. Never over water this plant as it will get water logged and die.
- This plant will never grow too tall. It remains at the height of a shrub for years. Once it achieves its full height you can make cuttings out of it and plant them in separate pots.
- The Brahma Kamal is a night flowering variety of plant. The blooming begins some time in the late evening and the flower reaches its full bloom during or after 10 pm at night. So if you want to get lucky, be awake to see it bloom!
Do you have any other special tips to grow this mythical flower?