Rakhi or Raksha Bandhan is a festival of brothers and sisters. Siblings celebrate their love for each other on this auspicious day. Besides decorating the house and pooja room with flowers, you have to mainly focus on the thali (plate). Rakhi thali is a very small thing but is one of the main limelights of this festival. A beautifully decorated rakhi thali will enhance your festive mood. Thus, here are few simple ideas to decorate the rakhi thali.
Thali decoration ideas for raksha bandhan:
- Firstly you have to cover the surface of the thali. You can either use steel, silver, gold or any other metal thali. Cover the surface with a craft paper. Use bright red and yellow colours as they are traditional colours that have a lot of value in Hinduism. A bandhej craft paper base will look great on the thali. You can even use plain colours or designs with some lace or ribbons. You have to stick the ribbons in different patterns to make the surface look attractive.
- Draw a Swastika at the centre of the thali. This will make your thali look traditional and ethnic for the occasion. Place a diya (mud lamp) over the Swastika. Put oil and bati in the diya.
- Put the main ingredients or elements of the festival; that is rakhi, moli (red and yellow coloured thread), chawal (rice) and roli (vermilion).
- Spread the rakhi on the left side of the thali. Do not bend the thread of the rakhi. The stones and beads of the fancy rakhis will enhance the decoration of the thali. Keep the moli in front of the rakhi. You can either keep a piece of the thread or the entire roll of moli on the thali.
- Place few sweets on the right side of the thali. After you put the tilak and tie the rakhi, you have to give a sweet to your brother and celebrate the festival with sweetness. You can also put some fruits like bananas and apples.
- Now cover the edges of the thali with a lace. You can go creative by trying stone studded or shimmery thread made lace. This is one of the most common ideas to decorate the rakhi thali. The appearance of the thali completely changes if you cover the edges with some artistic lace designs.
- Place a clean lota or kalash on one one side of the thali. You can use the water to wet roli and can also offer it to your brother after giving the sweet.
- Make the rakhi thali look more traditional by placing the idol of Lord Ganesha or Lord Krishna. Many Hindu girls consider these Gods as their brothers and tie rakhi to their idols.
These are few ideas to decorate the thali and celebrate Rakhi.