Decorating home with candles is an excellent idea to add some extra zing to your home decor. They burn longer than the wax candles. The composition of jelly candles is of mineral oil and plastic polymer. This makes it a long lasting candle. You can easily make colourful gel candles (jelly candles) at home. Here are a few easy steps to help you make gel candles at home.
- Glass or any other non-inflammable container
- Gel wax
- Zinc wicks
- Fragrance Oil (Gel compatible)
- Liquid colour dye (Gel compatible)
- Embeds (non-inflammable)
Either buy these products separately from the market or buy a gel candle kit which will contain all the necessary items.
- Cut the gel into small cubes and heat it in a stainless steel pot on medium flame.
- Maintaining a temperature of about 200 degrees Fahrenheit until the gel is smooth.
- Add the liquid colour dye and 1/4tsp of fragrance oil into the hot gel wax.
- Dribble a dash of hot glue at the bottom of the glass container and stick the wick tab into it. Let it set.
- Dip the embeds in hot gel before pouring them down into the container. If you want your embeds at the bottom of the container you can arrange them in the container itself before pouring down the gel.
- Preheat the glass container to about 150-160 degrees Fahrenheit to reduce the appearance of bubbles.
- Now pour the gel into the container from the side to prevent bubbles.
- Pull the wick up and position it in the center.
- Let the candle cool for 4-5 hours.
- Trim the wick as per the requirement.
- The temperature should not exceed 230 degrees Fahrenheit while boiling the gel wax or else it will burn. You need to check the temperature in the boiling pot with the help of a thermometer.
- Use few amount of liquid colour. A little of it would make the embedded objects more eminent.
- Pour hot gel to make the perfectly shaped jelly candle.
You now have a beautiful gel candle to decorate your home. You may place it anywhere such as on your dining table, center table, side table or any other place as a showpiece. Instead of buying expensive candles from the market, you can now easily make them at home and decorate your house.