Viparita Shalabhasana is also termed as the superman pose. It resembles the flying pose of Superman and hence it is also called the superman pose.
This pose is considered to be excellent in curing back problems, and is recommended in case you have are facing this issue. It's quite easy to perform this pose.
"Viparita" means inverted or reversed, "shalabh" means locust and "asana" means pose or posture.
Step-by-Step Procedure To Perform Viparita Shalabhasana:
1. Lie down with your stomach on the floor, with your toes flat on the floor and chin firmly placed on the ground.
2. Your legs should be close to each other.
3. Now, as far as you can, just stretch your arms in front of you.
4. Slowly and gradually, like all yoga poses, it's all about inhaling and exhaling. Just inhale and in a synchronized way, lift your chest, arms, legs and thighs off the floor. You will realise that you are in the air like a superman!
5. Keep your knees and elbows straight.
6. Wear a smile on your face and perform this pose. Inhale and exhale slowly. Gradually, stretch your hands and legs as much as you can.
7. You will attain the perfection after a few days, but this pose isn't that tough. Is it? Just try performing it.
8. You just need to focus on your breathing and stretching.
9. Now, as you exhale, gently lower your chest, then your arms and legs to come back to the original position.
Other Benefits Of Viparita Shalabhasana:
• Helps to strengthen the chest muscles and other muscles like arms, legs, abdomen, lower back and shoulders as well.
• Helps to tone the lower back as well as the abdomen.
• Helps to stretch the chest.
• Improves blood circulation.
Avoid this asana if you have undergone any kind of a surgery, whether stomach, lower back, neck, shoulder or hand. And, of course, this asana has to avoided during pregnancy.