Kidneys are one of the most vital organs of the body. Even a slight damage to either one of the kidneys will not just affect its functioning but end up affecting the entire body. So if you want to keep your kidneys healthy, then yoga asana would be the best option.
Among all the yoga asanas, Upavistha Konasana, which is also known as the Wide Angle Seated Forward Bend Pose, has been found to be the best asana to stimulate the kidneys.
Also Read: Yoga to Get Flat Tummy
The major functions of kidneys involve removal of waste and toxins from the body. Kidneys help in balancing the body's fluids and release hormones that regulate the blood pressure.
Not just this, kidneys also produce vitamin D which aids in making the bones strong. So, one could well imagine that if kidneys are damaged, then what effect it could have on the functioning of our body.
Also Read: Yoga Asana To Strengthen Knees And Ankles
Hence of all the available options, yoga asana, specifically Upavistha Konasana is one of the best ways to stimulate the kidneys.
The words Upavistha Konasana come from the Sanskrit words 'Upavistha' which means seated, 'Kona' which means angle and 'Asana' which means pose.
Here is the step-wise procedure to perform the asana. Take a look.
Step-by-step Procedure To Perform Upavistha Konasana:
1. To begin with come to Dandasana. Sit comfortably with your legs stretched in front of you.
2. The hands should be placed firmly on the floor.
3. Stretch your legs wide apart to a 90-degree angle.
4. Slowly move your torso backwards.
5. The toes should be pointing upwards towards the ceiling and the legs should be pressed down on the floor.
6. Make sure that your spine is straight and upright.
7. Slowly bring your hands forward in between your legs.
8. As you do this you should make sure that your hamstrings also get stretched.
9. As you stretch hold your big toe with your first two fingers and thumbs.
10. As you do this try to stretch and place your chin on the floor.
11. Remain in the position for a few minutes and slowly come out of the position.
Other Benefits Of Upavistha Konasana:
It helps to stretch the calves.
It helps to stretch the hamstrings.
It helps to stretch the pelvis.
It helps to stimulate the abdominal organs.
It helps to calm the mind.
It helps in digestion.
It helps to provide relief from anxiety.
It helps to stretch the spine.
Upavistha Konasana is known to stimulate the kidneys and has several other health benefits but it should be practised with caution. Those having back injuries should be careful while doing this asana. It is always best to practise it under the guidance of a trained yoga instructor.