Calcium acts like cement of our body. It helps in making the bones, the pillars of the body, strong. Lack of this very essential mineral thus makes our bones brittle and makes them prone to diseases like osteoporosis.
Besides, deficiency in calcium can also lead to tooth decay, lethargy, heart-related disorder, muscle cramp, loss of appetite, etc. Calcium is also required for optimum nerve transmission, hormone secretion, blood clotting and muscle contraction.
Youngsters should be particularly careful about their calcium intake because their bones acquire the density during the formative years; and if they ignore their health, they may have to suffer for the rest of their life.
However, just like a deficiency in calcium is not good for our health, an excess of this mineral is not healthy either, as it can lead to various hazards like formation of kidney stones, calcification of tissue and heart diseases.
But to take the positive side first, how should we deal with the problem of calcium deficiency to keep fit? The easiest answer: Have healthy food.
Hence, following are 10 superfoods that really help in raising the fallen calcium level in your body and taking them regularly also means that you need not go for calcium supplement to get the recommended dose of calcium:
1. Dark Leafy Vegetables: These include spinach, watercress, kale, dandelion greens, turnip greens, collards, etc. Soak the collard greens before consuming, as the phytic acid in them can hinder the absorption of calcium. Take the vegetables with fatty fish, so that the nutrition consumption is complete.
2. Low-fat Milk Products: They include non-fat yogurt, whole yogurt, low-fat milk, whole milk, low-fat cheese, etc. Take yogurt with berries and it will be a solid intake of antioxidants. If you are taking only milk, take it with chocolate syrup. It will be a major booster.
3. Bok Choy Or Chinese Cabbage: A cup of bok choy gives the amount of calcium equivalent to that found in a glass of milk.
4. Fortified Soy Products: Non-fat soy milk, unsweetened soy milk, etc., can be included to get calcium in the body.
6. Calcium-fortified Almonds: Take with fortified cereals but not with coffee, sugar or alcohol, as that can inhibit the absorption of calcium.
7. Canned fish like sardines
8. Fortified orange juice
9. Enriched breads, grains
10. Tofu: Eat this with grilled vegies. It will be a tasty food packed with calcium power.