If you are working for long hours sitting in one place, then you are definitely prone to have backache and tightening of the thigh muscles. In situations like this, yoga asana, more precisely supta padangusthasana helps relieve such backache and strengthens the thigh muscles.
This might be just one of the causes, but there are several other causes also like injuries, bruises, sprain, etc. which might lead to severe backache and tightening of the thighs. It is only those who have sustained the pain will understand its severity.
Also Read: Yoga Asana For Stronger Back
There are several medications and pain relief sprays which are easily available and provide immediate relief from the pain, but what if it occurs again?
For conditions like this the best way to get relief from backache and to make the thighs strong is yoga asana. The best part about these asanas is that they provide a long term solution and come without any side effects.
Also Read: Dandasana For Sciatica Pain
Practising Supta Padangusthasana commonly known as the Reclining Hand To Big Toe Pose is one of the best ways to get relief from backache and make the thigh muscles strong.
Initially for beginners, this asana might be difficult and they can make use of support. However, over a period of time with continuous practise it becomes easier.
Have a look at the step-wise procedure to perform Supta Padangusthasana.
Step-by-step Procedure To Perform Supta Padangusthasana:
1. To begin with, lie down on the floor.
2. Come to a relaxed position; the legs should be freely stretched and arms should rest on the sides.
3. Slowly bend your right knee and the thigh should be closer to the chest.
4. The other left leg should be lying straight on the floor.
5. Using a yoga strap wrap it around the right foot and make it tight.
6. Straighten the knees and pull down the straps.
7. The shoulder blades should be pressed against the floor.
8. The buttocks should be made to relax on the floor.
9. The backside of the neck should be lengthened.
10 Keep your eyes fixed on the big toe of your right foot.
11. Hold on to the position for about a minute.
12. Take a deep breath and slowly draw the knee to the chest and remove the strap.
13. Slowly come out of the position and then repeat the same with another leg up.
Other Benefits Of Supta Padangusthasana:
It helps to stretch the calves and hamstrings.
It helps to strengthen the knees.
It helps to relieve pain in those suffering from sciatica.
It helps those suffering from infertility.
It helps those suffering from high blood pressure.
It helps to stimulate the prostate gland.
It helps to stretch the hips and groin.
Supta padangusthasana is known to help relieve backache and strengthen thigh muscles but it should be practised with caution. Those suffering from headaches and diarrhoea should avoid this asana. Also, those having high blood pressure should practise under the guidance of a yoga instructor.