You want to wear that new pair of skinny jeans or the tight-fitted skirt you bought recently, but you are not able to do so. Well, the fat around your waist is to be blamed for that!
The fat around your waist bulges out when you try to fit in, making it a little odd. So what do you do next? Try looking out for solutions to get rid of the fat, right?
In such instances, yoga asana, specifically prasarita padottanasana, helps to reduce fat around the waist.
Also Read: Yoga To Improve Blood Circulation
The excess accumulation of fat not just makes you look ugly but it could also be a sign of a host of other diseases like increase in cholesterol level in the body.
This further could lead to increasing risk of diabetes, heart-related ailments, obesity and high blood pressure.
Several medication and exercises are available to reduce waist fat, but for a long-term solution, yoga asana is one of the best ways to lessen fat around the waist.
Also Read: Yoga To Improve Digestion
Among all the yoga asanas, Prasarita Padottanasana is one of the best asanas for reducing fat around the waist.
The words "Prasarita Padottanasana" also known as the Wide-Legged Forward Bend Pose come from the Sanskrit words 'Prasarita' which means stretched out, 'Pada' which means foot, 'Ut' which means intense, 'Tan' which means to stretch and 'Asana' means pose.
Here is the step-wise procedure to perform this asana. Have a look.
Step-By-Step Procedure To Perform Prasarita Padottanasana:
1. To start with, stand in the tadasana pose.
2. Move your feet a width apart.
3. The weight of your body should fall equally on your feet.
4. Place your hands on the hips.
5. Bend half way down, keeping your back straight and hands placed under the shoulders.
6. Keep your arms straight.
7. Slowly, lift up your chest and look up.
8. Take a deep breath and lengthen your spine to make it straight.
9. Slowly bend the elbows and place the crown of the head on the ground.
10. Push the hands against the ground and extend the spine further.
11. Remain in this position for a few seconds and then slowly come out.
Other Benefits Of Prasarita Padottanasana:
It helps to stretch the hamstrings.
It helps to stretch the spine.
It helps to provide relief from headache and mild depression.
It helps to stretch the knees and thighs.
It helps to stretch the lower back.
It helps to provide relief from stress.
Prasarita Padottanasana is widely known to reduce the fat around the waist, but it should be practised with great caution.
Those suffering from chronic injuries in the legs, hips, back and shoulder regions should avoid doing this asana. It is always best to practise this asana under the supervision of a trained yoga instructor.