It sounds funny that even irregular bowels can cause problems in the body. One poor human body and millions of problems associated to it! Constipation means when a person is unable to pass the stools regularly or it is the condition that is faced if the bowel isn't completely expelled out of the body.
It's a very common problem which affects every 1 in 7 adults and 1 in 3 kids. Though this problem is quite commonly noticed in old age and even pregnancy, it can even be caused due to wrong eating habits.
Kindly note that nothing is to be ignored during pregnancy. A problem is a problem at that time, which needs to have an immediate solution. So, make sure you don't avoid discussing this with your doctor.
What Causes Constipation?
Here's what can cause constant constipation issues:
• Busy lifestyle pattern
• Modified routine like holidays or vacation
• Having inadequate fibre
• Less intake of water
• Controlling the urgency and avoiding going to the washroom
• Psychological issues
• Certain health-related issues like Parkinson's disease
• Few pain killers like codeine, iron supplements and even some blood pressure medicines
Of course, this disease can cause severe complications as well like piles, indigestion, weight gain, and even cancer. Hard and large stools can lead to the stretching of the anus and even tearing of the skin, which can be extremely painful.
Sometimes, a tough bowel movement can cause rectal prolapse, which leads to poking of a small section of the intestinal lining.
Treatment And Prevention
When you are taking medicines, you need to take some precautions as well. Constipation can be treated and prevented by the following:
• Start working out to stimulate the movement of wastes through
• You must have at least 8 glasses of water every day
• Avoid having processed foods
• 25 g of fibre is required to be consumed per day by females and 38 g for males (flax seeds, citrus fruits and vegetables). They add bulk to the stools and it becomes easy to pass the stools.
• You should have regular meals, especially after every 2 hours.
• You must have breakfast every morning without fail.
• You must eat prunes or figs to soften the hard stools.