Castor oil is perhaps the most trusted general of any household. It has so many benefits to offer in our day-to-day life that successive generations have kept a strong faith on it. Want to know more about the health benefits of castor oil? Then, read on.
Castor oil might be known by different names in different parts of India, but that doesn't make any difference to its characteristics. It is indeed a unifying force in a diverse land.
What Is Castor Oil?
The oil is extracted from the seeds of castor plant (Ricinus communis), which is largely found in Africa besides India.
The vegetable oil is reputed for its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties and it contains vitamins, minerals and omega fatty acids. It looks after the well-being of our overall health that is both external and internal.
What Are The Health Benefits Of Castor Oil?
Here we list a series of benefits that castor oil has for our health, take a look:
1. Health: Castor oil has a number of good effects on both our internal and external health. Besides deworming, it gives relief from arthritic and joint as well as back pain. It also heals injuries and helps our body immunity to grow.
2. Skin: Castor oil is a great agent that helps our skin fight off a number of odds, including inflammation caused by sunburn or dryness, acne, blemishes, signs of ageing, etc. It keeps the skin moisturised, brings back the glow and reduces pigmentation. Just soak a cotton ball in castor oil and cleanse your skin with it.
3. Stomach: Pour a tablespoon of castor oil into cold milk to prepare an excellent Ayurvedic product and use it for cleansing your stomach. Problems like constipation, acidity, etc., can be overcome by drinking the concoction at least once in a week to get a clean stomach. Also, drinking a mixture of castor oil and orange juice can help in improving your stomach's health.
4. Hair: Castor oil is helpful in hair growth and stops its premature greying. It also keeps the hair conditioned and cures infection of the scalp. Add one teaspoon of castor oil in your conditioner, shake the mixture well and use it after shampooing your hair. Castor oil's humectant property prevents the hair from further dryness.
5. Nails: If you have brittle nails, massaging castor oil on them can turn them healthy for sure.
6. Removing corns: Corns often cause us discomfort and pain. Use a cotton ball dipped in castor oil and apply it on them. It will soften the corns and eventually cure them.
7. Immunity: Castor oil helps in improving immunity of the body by increasing the white blood cell count.
8. Eyes: Castor oil helps in removing the marks of tiredness from around your eyes.
The Other Side Of Castor Oil:
After having spoken about the good effects, it is also important to know that castor oil has certain side effects and hence it is better to be cautious before using it.
• Castor oil can be allergic for some and hence it is wise to conduct a basic test before using it. Put a few drops of castor oil on your hand and leave it on for a night. If it itches or rashes come out, it shows that you could be allergic to it.
• Castor oil can induce early labour; and hence expecting mothers are advised not to consume it.
• Sometimes, consuming this oil can cause pain in the abdomen, diarrhoea, nausea, etc. If you face such unfavourable symptoms, meet a doctor immediately.