Ageing is a process we can't reverse. And in many cases, we are worried over the state of our health when we turn old. The only way, hence, to deal with the distressing thought about ageing is by dealing with it in the right way and that is by eating right.
Have you noticed Amitabh Bachchan and some of his colleagues in Bollywood?
It is very important to maintain our health the way it should be, so that like in a good insurance scheme, the returns are good when you eventually turn old.
The basics begin from the thought that our body is a machine that needs to be oiled well, so that it remains at its peak, even when the law of nature makes it less flourishing.
For elderly people, eating can be a problem in itself, thanks to a lot of factors like digestive problems, medications, weak teeth - all of which can lead to a lack of interest in eating. And this gradually gives way to an adverse impact on the body.
Chewing might be difficult or it may be physically hard to prepare a meal or you may be just tired of eating by yourself.
So, you can always take help of a doctor or a nutritionist, so that your food habit remains good and unaffected, even at the later stages of life.
It is also important for you to continue exercising as late as possible, so the system is in place.
Foods That Help The Aged:
The elderly know what suits them the best, thanks to their lifelong experience. Yet, to put things together, here we list certain foods, which will help senior people, who want to eat healthy and disallow any kind of a menace threatening their well-being:
1. Water: Of course, this is a food, since we can't live without it and also our body is mostly made of it. It is very important for the elderly to drink water adequately and regularly to remain in shape, as less water in the body means we will get exhausted easily and our body could be badly affected by heat and other problems like constipation.
2. Fibre-rich Foods: This is a great nutrient for the elderly people who generally have a weak digestive system and suffer from problems like constipation. Foods containing fibre like vegetables, fruits, whole grains, etc., can also reduce cholesterol, blood pressure, diabetic problems, etc., and safeguard the heart.
3. Fatty Fish: The omega-3 fatty acids in fatty fish help in dealing with heart diseases and stroke.
4. Tomatoes: The lycopene content in tomatoes helps you against deadly cancer (prostate and lung). Consume more tomatoes by the means of juice, paste and sauce.
5. Olive Oil: Have olive oil, especially the extra virgin one, so that your bad cholesterol level goes down and the good cholesterol goes up. Virgin olive oil increases the amount of antioxidants in the body.
Other foods that you can take for a healthy being in old age include:
- Nuts such as almonds, walnuts and cashews