Women nowadays are more aware about a good health, irrespective of their age and activity level. However, given the particular nature of their bodies' functioning, they require a great variety of vitamins to lead a healthy life and keep away from all kinds of ailments.
Vitamins are compounds that help in the proper functioning of the body. Each vitamin has a specific function and its deficiency can cause serious health-related issues.
Here are 5 essential vitamins that women require to have a healthy body and mind:
1. Vitamin A: This vitamin contains antioxidant properties and gives women strong bones, skin tissues, teeth, etc. Vitamin A also helps in reducing chronic illnesses, betters vision, arrests ageing process and betters the immunity. Vitamin A is found in various vegetables like pumpkins, broccolis, spinach, etc., besides in fruits and fortified cereals, milk and eggs.
2. Vitamin B2: This vitamin is also very important for metabolism and hence good health. It provides energy and improves the immunity and cures problems like anxiety, fatigue, stress, etc. Deficiency of vitamin B2 causes sore throat, mouth ulcers, bad skin, etc. Foods that are rich in vitamin B2 include vegetables, milk products, eggs, whole grains, cereals, etc.
3. Vitamin B6: Vitamin B6 is required for a healthy immunity. This helps the body to produce hormones and chemicals that cure depression, improve memory and reduce the possibility of heart ailments. Vitamin B6, found in foods like bananas, meat, fish, beans, nuts, seeds, etc., also regulates the blood sugar level. Vitamin B6 is good for pregnant women. Its shortage can cause anaemia.
4. Vitamin C: This is very essential for women's health. Vitamin C improves the healing process, helps in the growth of tissues and reduces the possibility of cancer, heart disease and tissue damage. It also forms red blood cells. Vitamin C is found in citrus fruits like lemon and orange, besides in peppers, potatoes, strawberries, etc.
5. Vitamin D: Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin which promotes absorption of calcium, and that in turn is very important to make the bones strong. It also protects the health against serious ailments like arthritis, cancer, etc. Vitamin D is particularly helpful for women, as it reduces and helps manage the symptoms of pre-menstrual syndrome better and protects vision. Deficiency of vitamin D can damage the bones and cause osteoporosis. The biggest natural source of vitamin D is sunlight. Besides, fatty fish, eggs, liver, etc., also supply this vitamin in abundant quantity.