Whenever our body temperature shoots up, we get fever. A fever is a symptom of an illness. It can occur when our body is fighting an infection like flu.
Symptoms of fever include muscle ache and headache, dehydration, weakness, loss of appetite, etc.
In case you are not really willing to go to the doctor for a prescription, mentioning names of strong medicines to get rid of the fever, you can fall back on some simple home remedies.
But, if it is very high and there are some serious ailments responsible for it, then you must see a doctor without fail.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for fever. Take a look.
1. Water: Soak a cloth in cool water, wring out the excess water and place it on your forehead, back of the neck, feet, hands, etc. The cool compression will reduce the heat and give you relief. The cloth should be changed at regular intervals. Also, bathing in lukewarm water helps in times of fever. But, don't take a full-fledged shower and opt only for a sponge bath for your body.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar: The acid present in this draws the heat out of the skin and gives relief from fever. Its mineral-rich content also helps in providing the body the essential nutrients that get depleted during fever. Apple cider vinegar can be used both externally and internally as a remedy for fever.
Externally, you can mix half a cup of vinegar in lukewarm bath water and after you soak in it for about 10 minutes, the improvement will start to show. Repeat this whenever your body temperature goes high. You can also mix two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and one tablespoon of honey in a glass of water and consume it two to three times a day.
3. Basil Herb: It is very effective in bringing down fever. Its effects are same as any antibiotic available in the market; but it doesn't have any side effects like the artificial medicines.
Prepare a concoction of around 20 basil leaves and one teaspoon of crushed ginger in a cup of water and wait till it gets reduced to half. Add some honey and drink it two to three times a day. Basil leaf tea can also be taken to recover from fever.
4. Ginger: Ginger helps in expelling the body heat and hence reducing fever. It is also a natural antiviral and antibacterial agent which helps our immunity against all sorts of infection.
Add two tablespoons of powdered ginger in a bathtub having warm water and soak yourself for 10 minutes. The consequent sweating will bring down the fever. Have ginger tea or a concoction of ginger juice, lemon juice and honey. Drink it three to four times a day and you will be feeling fine again.
5. Garlic: The garlic's warm properties can also reduce fever by enhancing sweating. Its antifungal and antibacterial benefits also help fight infections and cure the fever. Drink garlic tea containing a clove twice a day and you will feel much better.
Also, mix two crushed cloves of garlic and two tablespoons of olive oil. Apply it over the sole of each foot and wrap your feet for the night. It works wonders for many people the next morning.
Besides the above-mentioned home remedies for fever, the following can also be used as well:
- Egg white (externally, it absorbs heat from the body to give relief)