You must have heard about fibroid but do you know about its risk factors? Fibroid is basically a tumor that develops in the uterus wall. Since these tumors grow inside the female reproductive system, it is very obvious that women are probably at risk of fibroids. Fibroid can start growing either as a solo tumor or as a number of tumors in the uterus. The size of a fibroid can be either small like an apple seed or very big like a grapefruit. In the most abnormal cases, fibroids become extremely large. According to studies, it is found that women who fall in the age group of 35 to 55 are generally detected with fibroids.
Some studies also reveal that African-American women are 3 times more prone to fibroids compared to other women. In these women, fibroids can occur at a very early age. They develop fibroids in their twenties. Women who are overweight are also the ones who are at the risk for fibroid.
There are a number of ways to diagnose a fibroid such as a vaginal exam or an MRI scan to detect the size and location of the fibroid. If you do not have any symptoms of fibroid, you do not need a treatment. You just need to get them monitored by your physician at the yearly gynecological examination.
Symptoms of Fibroids
Generally, fibroids do not cause any symptoms, however, some women may go through some serious symptoms. Following are some common symptoms of fibroids:
1. Heaviness in the lower stomach
2. Excruciating periods with heavy bleeding
3. Frequent urination
4. Lower back pain
5. Reproductive problems
6. Pain during intercourse
7. Complicated pregnancy and labor
8. An enlarged lower abdomen
A woman who is at a risk for fibroid and has the aforementioned symptoms, must visit her doctor regularly for daily checkups. There are numerous kinds of treatments available for the women who suffer from severe fibroid symptoms. These treatments include- Non-invasive, less invasive and surgical treatments. After going through the diagnostic tests and after identifying the location and size of your fibroid, your doctor will recommend you a particular kind of treatment.
Risk Factors Associated with Fibroids
There is absolutely no particular reason that is known why women suffer fibroids. Although, a few researches reveal a couple of risk factors that are linked with fibroids. Following are a few points that will enlighten you about the risk factors of fibroid:
1. Obesity is one of the risk factors of fibroid.
2. Excessive consumption of red meat, ham and beef is also a risk factor which is associated with fibroid.
3. The growth of fibroid depends on the changing hormone levels of a woman.
4. The average age to acquire fibroids in women is between 35 and 54.
5. African-American women are more likely to acquire fibroids as compared to white women.
6. Fibroids are hereditary; if your mother had fibroid; you are likely to be at the risk for fibroid.
7. If you have high blood pressure, then it is also among the various risk factors that are associated with fibroid.
The aforementioned points make us aware about the risk factors of fibroid. According to some recent researches, it has been discovered that the consumption of fruits, green vegetables, and fish can reduce the possibility of fibroids to a huge extent.