You often find cereals in a dieter list. Every healthy diet includes cereals especially the one made with whole grains. Be it barley, wheat, corn or oatmeal, every individual must have these nutritious food to remain healthy. People who are health conscious prefer eating cereals in their breakfast. These cereals are filling and low in calories too. Oatmeal is one of the most commonly preferred cereals. If you love to have oatmeal, you would be happy to know that this cereal benefits your body in a healthy way. Check out how...
Health benefits of oatmeal:
- First and the foremost benefit of oatmeal is, it can be made within minutes. If you are in a hurry to leave for work, just microwave oatmeal and your healthy breakfast is ready! Even If you make on stove top, oats cook within 10 minutes.
- According to researchers, the soluble fiber (beta-glucan) and avenanthramides (antioxidants) in oatmeal reduces bad (LDL) cholesterol. Bad cholesterol increases the risk of heart diseases especially heart stroke or blockage. By having oats regularly, you reduce the chances of storing bad cholesterol in your body.
- Soluble fiber in oatmeal slows down the digestion of starch. This controls the blood sugar levels. An ideal breakfast for diabetics. The American Diabetes Association recommends diabetic patients to have grains especially oats to control their glucose level.
- Blood pressure can be highly controlled by having oatmeal regularly. It is suggested to have oatmeal for controlling stress and blood pressure. The soluble fiber in one serving of oatmeal is more when compared to rice, wheat or corn.
- Phytochemicals, magnesium and soluble fiber fight cancer. These properties attack bile acid that reduces the toxins from the body.
- One of the health benefits of oatmeal is, it is easy to digest. This is because of the soluble fiber. Insoluble fiber hardens stool and sticks to the stomach or intestines. This is why; the high soluble fiber content in oatmeal makes it a healthy breakfast.
These are few health benefits of oatmeal. As the taste of this cereal is blunt, many people find it difficult to eat. Here are few ways to make oatmeal delicious.
· Mix with milk. Instead of soaking oatmeal in hot water, prefer skimmed milk. Fiber takes time to digest and this keeps you fuller for a longer time. So, if you are diet conscious, go for skimmed milk.
Always add oats in hot milk. This makes the oats cook well.
· Pick honey. Artificial sweeteners in sugar or syrup can kill the nutrients in oatmeal. Even diabetics should prefer honey. Antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties in honey makes it a healthy substitute for sugar.
· Add fruits. Having the same oatmeal with milk and honey can become boring. To make your breakfast delicious and filling, add fresh fruits to it. Cut fruits such as strawberries, apples, bananas, kiwi etc.
Drop few grapes to prepare the healthy and delicious breakfast.
· Dry fruits or nuts can make your oatmeal even tastier. Add almonds, cashew nuts, raisins walnuts and apricots.
· Use cinnamon, yogurt, maple syrup or jelly.