An Ayurvedic proverb says 'If your diet is wrong even medicines
don't work and when your diet is right, medicine is not required at
All of us read and hear about heart diseases everyday, but how many of us have actually taken it on a serious note is a matter of conjecture.
On an average each year, cardiovascular disease claims over 17
million lives around the world. By 2030, that number could reach 23
million, according to the World Heart Federation. It's one of the
top causes of death worldwide.
Although medicine and healthcare have come a long way in preventing heart diseases, our lifestyle plays a pivotal role in protecting the holistic health of our mind and body. Our lifestyle affects the heart. So, it is very important to look into your lifestyle and habits to stay healthy and prevent cardiovascular diseases.
Here are some of the things one can incorporate for a heart healthy lifestyle.
1. Balanced diet: A balanced diet goes a long
way in keeping us hale and hearty. Every bite of heart-healthy
foods deliver a powerful dose of phytonutrients that prevent heart
diseases. A diet rich in vegetables, fruits, whole-grains,
high-fiber foods, lean protein and fat-free or low-fat dairy
products is the key to have a heart healthy lifestye. Include at
least 5 fruits and 5 coloured vegetables in your diet. Broccoli,
cucumber, spinach, oranges, berries, carrot, bell pepper, red
kidney beans, sprouts, papaya and dark chocolate helps have a
2. Be the binge busters: Say no to smoking and drinking, better late than never! It's quite an arduous task, yes, but it's even tougher to recover from a heart attack or stroke or to live with a chronic heart disease.
3. Resurrect yourself with a workout: A 30-60 minutes cardio workout not only takes care of your heart but also infuses a great deal of energy and enthusiasm. This in turn induces self-confidence, keeps you active and also tones your body. If you are a beginner, slowly commence with cardio exercises. Even 10 minutes workout in a day can offer many health benefits. Studies show that people who have achieved even a moderate level of fitness are less likely to die early than those with a low fitness level.
4. Reduce stress: Feeling stressed out? Stress is one of the primary factors that affect the heart health. Staying happy is one of the best ways to handle stress. Just smile; it costs nothing, the more we smile the less we feel stressed. Give yourself that personal space and take out time for relaxation. Even meditation and yoga and relive stress.
5. Maintain a healthy weight balance: This goes a long way in boosting the immune system and a body that is filled with a positive vibe.
Most importantly, your heart works tirelessly for you, the onus equally lies on you to keep your heart healthy. Being happy from within is what really matters! Let go off your worries and let your heart breathe and beat with joy!