You add little flavour to your food by sprinkling spices. These spices change the colour, flavour and aroma of the dish. There are many spices that are commonly used in several cuisines while there are few spices that are specific to a particular country. In India, we have many spices like turmeric, basil, red chillies and many others. These spices are very good for the health and also aids weight loss.
There are many people who think that spicy foods aid weight loss. That is why chillies and other spices are considered as fat burning spices. They are low in fat and calories. The only question is, does spicy food aid weight loss? Find out the benefits and harmful effects of having spicy foods.
Benefits of eating spicy foods:
- The most important benefit of eating spicy food is it aids weight loss. When you eat something spicy, you burn fats that are deposited in the body. The body becomes hot (thermogenesis).
- Eating spicy foods increase your body metabolism instantly. Your body burns energy faster and more effectively.
- Few spices like red chilli pepper also suppresses appetite. Once you have these spices, you will not feel hungry for some time. So, if you are controlling your appetite, have spicy foods in moderate amounts.
- Spicy food eases congestion and nausea. If you are suffering from sinus, headache, cold or cough, have spicy foods. They open the nasal passage and also makes you feel active.
- Most of the spices (red chillies, black pepper) contain capsaicin. This capsaicin makes the spices spicy. When you eat capsaicin you burn fats and it also boosts up the body's metabolism.
- Another benefit of eating spicy food is that it eases constipation. It flushes out toxins from the system and cleanses the body.
Side effects of spicy foods:
- The spicy foods can be good for the body but only when consumed in moderate amounts. Excessive consumption of spicy foods increases stomach problems like dysentery, indigestion, stomach ulcers or inflammation in the body.
- Spicy foods tend to burn the tongue and mouth ulcers can break out if you eat food that is too spicy.
- One of the side effects of eating spicy food is, your stomach secretes more acid that can become harmful in the later ages.
- Spicy foods also discolour the teeth and increase sweating. People who love spicy foods have more body odour.
- Sometimes, excessive consumption of spicy foods can disrupt the bowel movements. This is because spices harm the functioning of the intestines thus affecting bowel movements.
These are the benefits and side effects of having spicy foods. If consumed in moderate amounts, spices can be healthy for the body.