Cholesterol spots or deposits around your eyes are accumulation of fats that develop under the skin. Usually, found in the inner canthus of the upper eyelid, these are also called xanthelasma.
One of the main reasons that cause these spots is the level of LDL or 'bad' cholesterol in the body. Besides, they can also be formed because of genetic reasons, diabetes, liver disease, etc.
People who have high cholesterol have higher possibility of developing this problem. If the fat bump grows bigger, this problem can cause problems in viewing. It can also lead to coronary artery disease.
Surgery is not a wise step to deal with this problem, since the area is too close to the eyes. A proper treatment is necessary to understand what exactly the reason for xanthelasma is.
If it is because of high cholesterol in the blood, you can take steps to lower the level of your cholesterol.
However, one can always fall back on some home remedies to threat the fat bumps. Here are 5 superfoods that are easily found in your home kitchen, which can help you get rid of the cholesterol deposits around your eyes.
1. Onions: Onions have compounds that arrest the rise of the level of bad cholesterol. Add some salt to the juice extracted from one onion and set it aside for a few hours. Apply it to the affected area and leave it on for the night.
2. Garlic: Enzymes present in garlic flatten the small bumps. It is also beneficial in reducing the high cholesterol level. Make a paste of garlic cloves and apply it to the affected area. You can also make a mixture of garlic powder and water and apply it. But be careful about using garlic for a long time if you have sensitive skin.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar: This is another excellent agent which reduces the LDL level and detoxifies the body by aiding the liver, thereby helping to cure the fat bumps. The acetic acid in the apple cider vinegar also helps in removing the deposits. You can also soak a cotton ball in the vinegar and apply it to the affected areas near your eyes. You can also drink a mixture of raw apple cider vinegar and raw honey mixed in lukewarm water daily.
4. Castor Oil: Castor oil has ricinoleic acid that helps in curing the cholesterol deposits. Take a cotton ball and soak it in castor oil and apply it to the affected area. Do this daily and you will get the result.
5. Fenugreek Seeds (Methi): These also reduce cholesterol deposits. Drop two teaspoons of fenugreek seeds in a glass of water and leave it overnight. Drink it on an empty stomach the next morning. It will reduce the LDL level. You can also massage the area with the water in which the seeds were soaked.