The modern day lifestyle has brought with itself stress, pollution of the cities and in addition to all these, an unhealthy diet which has contributed to the detriment in the overall approach towards the living style of people. This in turn has caused them to suffer from various health conditions like, diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high risk of cancer etc.
Being overweight can also lead to osteoarthritis, gall bladder problems and sleep apnoea too. To lose weight, there are different kind of diets which are being followed by people and one of such extremely popular one is Mediterranean Diet.
Top Foods For Weight Loss
Mediterranean diet focuses on the pattern and proportion of the food being consumed. It is an extremely nutritive diet incorporating a lot of fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts, olive oil, poultry and fish and limiting red meat and taking red wine in moderation. Saturated or trans-fats are also kept out of the diet plan and on the other hand, it is high in mono-saturated fats and dietary fibers.
Many researchers have proved that those who have followed Mediterranean diet for a long number of years have had lower mortality rates.
Contrary to the popular belief, Mediterranean diet is not all about Mediterranean cuisine. It is an easy diet in which the follower can bring in changes in accordance with his taste preferences but keeping the right proportion and ingredients in mind. You do not have to master the Mediterranean cooking to be able to follow this diet plan.
Citrus Fruits The Best Formula For Weight Loss
In the following article we will sum up all the health benefits of Mediterranean diet plan.
• Mediterranean diet is very rich in dietary fiber which ultimately slows down the process if digestion thus stopping the sugar levels in the body to fluctuate intensely and hence providing protection against type 2 diabetes.
• This diet reduces the cardiovascular risks as it is low in saturated fats and it automatically reduces the chances of getting a heart attack or any other such cardiovascular problem.
• It also protects against genetic risk of heart stroke as the foods that are considered to be the main cause like refined bread, red meat, hard liquor and other kinds of commercially processed foods are abstained from this diet.
• It also helps in controlling the risk of high blood pressure and higher level of cholesterol thus, keeping the entire cardiovascular system healthy. It has been proven that people who follow this great diet have stronger physical health.
• It has also been seen that people following this diet with regular exercise had comparatively stronger muscles even in their older age which kept them from becoming week.
• Some researchers have said that as Mediterranean diet is full of anti- oxidants by including nuts and olive oil, it helps in restoring the cognitive functioning of the elderly and keeping them safe from diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
• It has also been suggested that the women who follow this diet have considerable less risk of suffering from endometrial and breast cancer. In fact the risk of endometrial cancer is reduced to more than half of the rest.
• Mediterranean diet is filled up with numerous fresh vegetables and fruits, a lot of extra virgin olive and some red wine to go with the meal. It does sound luxurious but the fact is that it is the healthiest diet of all and even slows down the ageing process and its effects on the body.
• Last but not the least this diet increases the longevity of the age of a person following it up to nearly 20%.