Foods that digest slowly or with considerable difficulty have a tendency to give you heart burns. Not all of these foods are heavy per se; Something as simple as chocolate or ice cream can make you suffer from indigestion. Most of the times, we have a tendency to misinterpret the cause of our indigestion. It is often what you eat not how you eat it, that makes digestion a difficult process.
These are some of foods that digest with difficulty and are more commonly known to cause heart burns.
7 Foods That Are Tough To Digest:
1. Deep Fried Foods: Foods that are deep fried can lead to indigestion. Fried foods especially prepared in batter are very tough to digest. This is because it absorbs excess oil. For example; if you are eating chicken nuggets or burger patties outside, there is possibility that the oil cab be stale or unhealthy.
2. Spicy Foods: Chilli peppers and bell peppers are rich in antioxidants and therefore good for your health. But they also abate indigestion. The 'spice' that feels so yummy on your tongue, inflames the lining of your oesophagus causing a heartburn.
3. Lactose Intolerance: Now lactose is a kind of complex sugar found in milk and dairy products. Almost 70 per cent adults have a some amount of lactose intolerance or inability to digest foods with lactose. This is because the lactose digesting enzyme is either absent or produced in very small amounts in adults.
4. Leafy Vegetables: Cabbage, broccoli and radishes are typically considered 'heavy foods' because they are difficult to digest. The scientific explanation is that they are oligosaccharides. Human beings do not have lactase, the enzyme required to digest this kind of food. That is why the food proceeds undigested to the small intestine, where 'gas' is produced as the good bacteria work on the undigested food.
5. Legumes: Again dals, rajma (kidney beans), chole (grams) etc are considered heavy on the stomach. This is because they too contain some amount of oligosaccharides.
6. Citrus Juices: They are another cause of indigestion. The 'citrus' twang irritates the cells of the food pipe and causes a reflux.It is more common when consumed at the wrong time. For example; having citrus fruit or juice empty stomach can be difficult to digest.
7. Seeded Foods: Any kind of food with seeds are tough on the stomach. The food gets digested faster than the seeds in it. The seeds from tomatoes, brinjal and chillies often pass the intestines without breaking down and are excreted out in stool.
These foods digest with difficulty. But that does not mean that you must stop consuming them because they might be necessary for your health. Just limit the portions to avoid heartburn.