Menopause is a state that is quite unavoidable for women. It is a natural condition that occurs in women between 45-55 years of age. Various other health complications also occur in women due to the hormonal changes. Moods swings, disinterest in sexual activities, fatigue, insomnia, headache are few of them.
Menopause in women is usually a very uncomfortable experience. During menopause, bones become weak that gives rise to joint pain and vaginal infection. However, some change in food habits can help you to overcome the problems of this hormonal turmoil. Below is a menopause diet plan that is strongly recommended for woman going through this phase.
1. Eat fish: Women suffering from menopause are often asked to eat fish like trout, salmon etc twice a week. Fish are rich in omega-3 fatty acids that curbs the chances of heart diseases and breast cancer. Woman who are in their menopausal age are more prone to heart diseases and breast cancer. Therefore, if you have symptoms of menopause then start including fish in your diet.
2. Dairy products: During menopause the female hormone named estrogen is secreted in lesser amounts. Estrogen also helps in calcium absorption. With less estrogen level in your blood, the calcium absorption becomes hard. Therefore, to supplement the low calcium level it is required to increase the intake of dairy products like milk, curd and cottage cheese. Calcium also gives strength to your bones.
3. Whole grains: Bloating is a common problem that many menopausal women face. Therefore, many researches suggest you to include a proper amount of whole grain like oats, wheat, millet, rye in your diet. The whole grains have high dietary fibre which further prevents constipation.
4. Soy foods: Soy foods like tofu, nuts and soy milk is a must for a woman going through menopause. Soy contains plant estrogen- isoflavones that can be very beneficial in reducing hot flashes. Hot flash is a feeling of intense heat with sweating and rapid heartbeat.
5. Curry leaves: Curry leaves aid weight loss. Various studies have shown that women who are obese or overweight face many health complication during menopause. Therefore, if you are overweight or obese then curry leaves gives you a good option to beat the blues of menopause.
6. Herbal tea: Herbal tea specially the one made from cohosh herb (Cimicifuga racemosa), thyme or other herbs provides a good remedy to hot flashes that occurs during menopause. Herbal tea has the potential ability to relax uterine tissues. Therefore, it gives quick relief to abdominal pain that is very common during menopause.
These are few foods that can help you in overcoming the complications of menopause.