Bridge Pose, also known as Setu Bandha Sarvangasana, is derived from the Sanskrit term. 'Setu’ basically means 'bridge', 'Bandha’ signifies 'lock', 'Sarva’ denotes 'all', 'Anga’ means 'limb' and 'asana’ denotes 'pose'.
If you are suffering from severe headache over the years, or are recently been diagnosed with migraine, you need not have to worry.
Also Read: Viparita Karani (Legs-up-the-Wall Pose) For High Blood Pressure
Yoga has an answer and cure to all the diseases and you need not consume extra medicines for this as well. The best thing about yoga is that it doesn’t have any side effect.
Yoga has countless asanas and the beauty of every asana is different from each other.
Besides acting as a cure for migraine or severe headache, this asana acts to cure other problems as well, like fatigue, insomnia, mild depression and the list is a bit long.
When you are performing this pose, a 'locked bridge’ is created by your arms and legs; hence, the term justifies its name.
This pose also helps to calm the mind and is often used as a therapy for the individuals who are suffering from a high blood pressure.
How To Perform The Setu Bandha Sarvangasana Or The Bridge Pose
1. Lie down straight on your back and bend your knees. Don’t touch your feet with your hips, just maintain some gap.
2. Shrink your shoulders inside and reach your hands till your feet, keeping your fingers to the side of the hands on the floor.
3. Just exhale and raise your hips a bit, while lifting the sternum towards your chin. Without pushing, just elongate the back of your neck, make sure to not push too much into the floor. Just stretch your neck.
4. Interlock your fingers on the ground under your back and this will help in rolling the shoulder blades.
5. Take a deep breath in, and make your facial muscles and jaws relax. Get back to the lying position, while exhaling.
CAUTION: Pregnant ladies and spondylitis patients shouldn’t follow this asana.
Benefits Of This Asana
- Like any other yoga asana, this pose also helps you to stay connected with your mind and heart.
- Basically, the main task of yoga is such. You need to perform all the asanas in a quiet place, so that you get to spend some quality time with yourself and you know your 'know’ and 'how’.
- Just do the pose as long as your body allows you to practice. Just don’t over-exert yourself. In this pose, relax your spine, shoulders and thighs and just be in the normal position and take rest and repeat, if required.
- Let your mind, body and spirit play an important role in rejuvenating you.