Cold, cough and congestion can happen due to various reasons. During the seasonal changes, this problem is commonly seen in many people.
Besides, the dust and pollution can make the situation worse. If your air passage gets congested, it becomes very difficult to breathe.
Also Read: Home Remedies For Toddler's Cold And Cough
If you’re suffering from cold, congestion will disturb you and in the middle of the night you wake up suddenly due to shortness of breath.
Don’t go for self-medication, as it can aggravate your problem. Consult your doctor and then have medicines. There are many of you who prefer natural ways than medicines, right?
You won’t believe that there are lots of home remedies that you can find inside your kitchen only. For example, onion, ginger and garlic are very effective natural remedies that treat cold and congestion.
Here is a detail recipe of a homemade decongestant, which can cure your problem and make you breathe easily. Read on to know more.
1. Unfiltered and raw apple cider vinegar - ¼ cup
2. Lemon juice - ¼ cup
3. Raw honey - 2 tablespoons
4. Dried ginger powder - 1 teaspoon
5. Cayenne powder or chilli powder or chilli flakes - ½ teaspoon
6. Black pepper powder - a pinch
7. Turmeric powder - ½ teaspoon
8. A mixing bowl
9. A whisk
10. Measuring cups
11. A pot to store
Also Read: How To Use Honey To Treat Cold
Steps To Make The Concoction:
1. Take a mixing bowl.
2. Pour the raw apple cider vinegar into the bowl.
3. Now, squeeze lemon juice into it.
4. Next step is to add raw honey to the mixture.
5. Then, add cayenne powder to it. If you don’t get cayenne powder, you can use chilli flakes or chilli powder instead.
6. Mix dried ginger powder.
7. Add turmeric powder.
8. Sprinkle a pinch of black pepper powder.
9. Now, take a whisk and mix all the ingredients well.
10. Your homemade decongestant is ready.
11. Pour it into a glass container and store it in the refrigerator and you could use this for several weeks.
How To Use The Concoction:
All the ingredients, used in this recipe, are easily available. And the preparation is not tricky too. If you want homemade remedy for cold and congestion, this can help really you. For elders, 2 tablespoons a day can give relief. Though it is not preferable for children, still you can give them 1 tablespoon in a day. Don’t give it to babies who are under 1 year. Before each consumption, shake the mixture well, as the powders can settle at the bottom.
Benefits Of This Recipe:
1. The antioxidant properties in apple cider vinegar boost up your immunity and it also relieves the mucus and makes your air passage free from congestion.
2. The Vitamin C in lemon juice is effective for cold and congestion, as it makes you strong enough to fight the infection.
3. Honey can soothe you with its healing properties. Also, if you have cough with cold, honey is the best remedy to use.
4. Cayenne pepper or chilli powder contains capsaicin, which helps in draining sinuses.
5. If you are suffering from sore throat, ginger is the thing you need. It also keeps your body warm, improves blood circulation and fights congestion.
6. The anti-inflammatory properties in turmeric soothe inflammation, while the antiseptic properties reduce chances of further infection.
7. Black pepper clears your stuffy nose by loosening the phlegm.
While using this home remedy, you should also maintain a healthy routine, to get cured fast. Drink as much as you can. Hot steam also helps to relieve congestion. You should also take enough rest, so that your body stores energy to fight back.