The 21st of September is celebrated as World Alzheimer's Day. We all know that Alzheimer's is the most crippling form of dementia or mental disorder than makes a person forget who they are. That is why it is important to detect Alzheimer's in the early stages. The test for this disease is not a very simple one because the main symptom of Alzheimer's is forgetfulness.
- The first recorded case of Alzheimer's was found on 4th November, 1906 by a German Psychiatrist named Alois Alzheimer.
- Alzheimer's symptoms are the most common form of dementia in the world right now and about 36 million people are suffering from it.
- One new case of dementia is detected somewhere in the world every 4 seconds. And by 2050, more than 150 million people in the world will be suffering from this unfortunate disease.
Testing For Alzheimer's:
- Now how do you draw the difference between normal cases of absent-mindedness and this deadly disease? On World Alzheimer's Day, let us find out how we can conclusively identify the symptoms of Alzheimer's.
- Memory loss interferes with day to day life. We all tend to forget certain things in everyday. But when the loss of memory interferes with your daily tasks, then it is time to worry.
- Not finding the right word. Sometimes, the correct word for a situation or person is at the tip of your tongue but you can't recall it. If this extends to whole sentences and difficulty in framing thoughts, then it is an early symptom of Alzheimer's.
- Inability to do daily chores. Let us assume that you prepare a particular dish pretty regularly. One day, you try to prepare that dish and suddenly realise that you have forgotten the recipe and procedure to make it totally. This could be a sinister symptom of Alzheimer's.
- Forgetting names that you knew very well. Now most of us cannot recall the names of out high school classmates. However, if you forget the name of your son or husband? Then it is something to worry about.
- Confusion in place and time. Suppose you suddenly come out of daze and then cannot recall what time of the day it is, then you are probably in the first stage of Alzheimer's.
These are some of the early symptoms of Alzheimer's that you must take caution from. Have you experienced any?