What is steroid?
1.Steroids are hormones that comes from Adrenal glands mainly.
2.There are different types of steroids
3.They are life-saving, meaning without them we can not survive. Some of them suppress inflammation.
4.Steroids come form Testes and Ovaries; they are called sex-steroids. In addition to controlling metabolism they are important in sexual function.
What is the use of steroids?
* Steroids are used for various medical conditions in which the inflammatory response has to be controlled.
* In asthma these are given by tablet, injection or through inhaler.
* In certain other medical conditions like rheumatoid arthritis, SLE and other connective tissue disorders these are very helpful.
* Life saving medications in situations like adrenal insufficiency and severe allergic reactions.
What are different types of Steroids?
Steriods are classified on the basis of their potency.
* Hydrocortisone (hysone or histone) - least potent * Prednisolone (most commonly used) - intermediate in potency.
* Dexamethasone (dexona) - most potent.