Poly cystic ovaries, sounds a very serious word but these days every one in ten women has this disorder. What is worse is that they are blissfully unaware of it. Lets do a reality check. Do you have irregular periods, a raging acne problem and tend to put on weight easily? Then you come under high risk category for ovarian cysts.
What Actually Is Poly Cystic Ovaries?
It is basically a condition where your ovaries are littered with tiny cysts. A large cyst will cause heavy bleeding or pain but these tiny ones have no obvious indications. They will hinder the passage of the eggs from the ovaries. In very severe cases ovarian cysts cause a total stop of menstruation. The egg never gets released from the ovary.
What Are Its Consequences?
Irreversible sterility is the worst consequence of this disorder. It will not just stop at irregular periods and acne but also give you major problems when it come to conceiving. This disorder is one of the leading causes of female infertility in this day and age.
Causes Of Ovarian Cysts:
- The medical cause of ovarian cysts is irregularities in the production of the sexual hormone Estrogen. It leads to the formations of cysts, malfunctioning of the ovaries and severe break out of acne.
- As this condition makes the body non-reactive to Insulin you tend to pile on weight and that in turn worsens your condition.
- For some women Poly cystic ovaries are hereditary. They inherit this disorders from their mothers side.
- However, with the rising number of its incidences, it is now becoming a lifestyle disorder. If you are over weight then you stand higher risk of having poly cystic ovaries. And how do you put on weight?
- Junk food, toxins, irregular eating habits and eating in between meals has made the a whole generation of women overweight and unhealthy. There is no time for exercise in our hectic lives and the stubborn fat just keeps piling on.
- To top it all is the dirty habit of drinking and smoking that fills your body with toxins. No wonder female infertility is on the rise! Almost every other day you hear a couple is having trouble while trying to conceive.
What Can Be Done?
- If you do not get your period at all or they are too far apart (say 2 to 3 months) then your condition is serious. You need to see a obstetrician immediately.
- The usual treatment is hormone therapy but sometime loosing a few pound is all you have to do to get back your normal reproductive health.
- If you have been diagnosed with this condition then it is better to have a baby before you reach 30 or even late twenties. Otherwise it might be too late for you.
Poly cystic ovaries is one of those women's health issues that is being much talked about. It is plaguing the modern working woman and even young girls who have taken to an unhealthy lifestyle.