Gastroenteritis is caused due to eating contaminated and unhealthy food. Gastroenteritis is the inflammation in the intestines or stomach or both due to a virus which develops after eating unhealthy and contaminated food. Gastroenteritis is also known as stomach flu or gastric flu.
Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain are common symptoms of gastroenteritis. Fever, mild chills, headaches, body or muscle pain are also symptoms of gastroenteritis. Food allergy due to eggs, nuts, milk or shellfish are few other causes behind gastroenteritis. The illness lasts for 2-5 days depending on the care taken at this time. It is best to have simple food while suffering from gastroenteritis. Following are food to have during gastroenteritis or stomach flu.
Food to have during gastroenteritis or stomach flu:
1. It is best to have simple food which is not spicy and is easy to digest too! If you are suffering from vomiting, have bread toast which are light and easy to digest.
2. Citrus fruits are the best way to treat gastroenteritis naturally. By having citrus fruits, the feeling of nausea or vomiting is controlled to a greater extent. Lime, grapefruit, mandarin, tangerine, sweet lime, kumquat, minneola, tangelo, lemon, orange and pummelo are few citrus fruits.
3. Have soup to treat gastroenteritis naturally. Vegetable soup is tasty and good for the system also. As diarrhea can lead to dehydration, it is best to have soup. By having soup, the toxins from the body is flushed out through urine therefore making the heeling process easy.
4. Avoid milk and cheese as these dairy products can increase diarrhea symptoms more. However, buttermilk cools the digestive system and also prevents dehydration.
5. Boiled food is great to eat during gastroenteritis. To treat stomach flu, have boiled vegetables as they are soft and light.
6. Have food such as boiled potatoes, beans, carrots and celery or parsley. Even boiled or cooked pasta is easy to digest.
7. Bananas are known for the soothing effect on the stomach. To treat gastroenteritis, have raw bananas or juice. Even apple juice, pears and sweet lime juice treat stomach flu.
8. Have lots of water to prevent dehydration. Due to diarrhea, water in the body reduces to a greater level so intake of fluids should be maximum to neutralize the water level and keep the stomach light.
Have these food during gastroenteritis to treat it naturally.